Search

Some more Barajas T4 questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some more Barajas T4 questions

Hello,

I have not been to Madrid since T4 opened, and I have some questions that I have not found answers to by searching this forum.

First, do all international arrivals arrive there? I will be flying Iberia and a friend will be on US Airways -- both coming from the US.

Second, which form of public transit would you recommend to get to the Av. America bus station? I saw on some other posts that bus 200 stops at all terminals and goes directly there. I assume that would take longer than the metro. But if I will be arriving in T4, it looks like quite a hassle to get to the metro stop in Barajas. Is that right?

I will use a taxi if time gets tight, but I will have only a small backpack and prefer public transportation. Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Hi, Metro line 8 goes to/from Barajas. If I remember correctly, all international flights arrive at T4. There's a free shuttle that connects to the domestic terminal if you need to go there. http://www.metromadrid.es/acc_resour...Metro_2007.pdf
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
ComfyShoes

I didn't use public transport so I can't answer that part but yes, all international arrivals are in T4. My only advice: Have plenty of time. They have ETA marked from when you get the baording passes to your gates, and it was actually pretty close. In our case, it took almost 30 long minutes of continuous walk, trains, and what not to get to the gate after the security check etc! Good news: very pretty addition to the airport. If you are there way too early, stop at El Madron~o at T4. It has a fantastic chef and a great (pricey) menu.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM

us air does NOT arrive in T4.

T4 is only for iberia and partner airlines.

So...
us airways arrives in T1, as do many many other international flights.

there is a public red bus just outside that takes you to that bus changing center.

i have taken it and it is easy. however, i do not know the frequency. probably every 15 minutes or so.

take the free frequent intra terminal shuttle from T4 to T1.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Continental and Delta both arrive at T2 or at least our flights did in Jan. coming from NY and Atl. Shuttle loops the airport and stops at all terminals. Super easy.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
ComfyShoes

Oops... Sorry, lreynold1, Didn't mean to provide incorrect data points. As I came out of that montrous (but nice looking) terminal during my last trip, I asked two different Spaniards (one from Madrid) if that's where all international flights arrived (partly because my return flight didn't have a terminal listed on it) and they said yes. I would go with lincasanova's and lartista's advice because the two guys may have misunderstood me or vice versa.

Apologies.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Line 8 is very convenient and very inexpensive (1€/one-way). The line takes you to Nuevo Ministerios in around 20 minutes, where you can pick up the connection to Ave. de America.

You can find all of the information on the airport at www.aena.es.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM

The shuttle between all the terminals is easy to take. Just follow everyone else out the door after you leave baggage claim. Ignore the big, long line, that is for the taxis. You will see a shuttle or two. They run at least every 10 minutes, maybe even less depending on when one fills up. It will go to T1 then T2.

Oh, and if you need to use the restroom while you're in T4 or the satelite, start with the first one you get to. You might have to move on if all the toilets are pluged up and out of order. (It's only a year old, but the toilets don't work!)
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM

I flew Iberia last summer and it did use T4. I flew Delta a few weeks ago and it didn't use T4.

I'm not sure which terminal US Air uses.

I forget where the Metro is -- T1 or T2. But you'll have to take a bus from T4 to the Metro stop in Barajas. So it is a bit of a hassle. It takes a while to go from T4 to the Metro.

A cab to Sol shouldn't cost more than 25 euros or so, if I remember right. And it's faster. But if you really want to save money, I guess Metro is the way to go. I had a small carryon this time and I took the Metro both ways. A 10-trip ticket is 6.50 euros, if I remember right, so your airport trip costs a mere 0.65 euro.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:47 AM

You can catch the bus# 201 or 204 from airport to Avenida America.
Metro: Line#8 to Mar de Cristal and then transfer to line#4 to Avenida de America.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Hello and many thanks to all who answered. I hope you will indulge me with a few more questions.

In your opinions, how much time do these two options take:

(1) airport shuttle bus from T4 to metro, and then metro to Av. de America?

(2) bus 200 from T4 to Av. de America?

I will be taking this trip around 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning, so my intuition tells me to stay underground!

And a question about tickets -- can I use a 10-ride metro ticket on the 200 bus? Do these tickets expire?

Thanks so much for your help. LR
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

And a p.s. -- I just saw in Wikipedia that a metro connection to T4 is planned to open the first week of May of this year. I'm arriving on May 2, but I'm not getting my hopes up!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:15 AM

The metro station at the airport is through T2. Last November it took a total of 1.5 hours to:get on the shuttle at T4, go to T1, buy a train ticket to Toledo at the RENFE office, get back on the shuttle and go to T2 (the terminals are connected, but it is a long, long walk from T1 to T2 -did that in 2002)take the Metro and made the changes to finally arrive at Atocha train station. Not sure how long to get to Av. America bus station, but I don't think it would be more than an hour max.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:25 AM

The metro connection to the T4 opens next Friday, 2 days after you and me would need it.

Your best option to get to the Avda de America is the 204 bus, that leaves from the T4 and takes around half an hour. I really prefer bus or taxi when going to Avda de America. Arriving by metro and with a suitcase ... it is a long way from the metro station until the bus station, stairs and stairs ...

Check it on www.ctm-madrid.es , look for "connection between two points in Madrid"
http://tinyurl.com/35r6pa

Bye, Cova
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:29 AM

i really think the bus is the way to go. it is so direct and no transfers. it drops you in front of that intercambiador.

and PLEASE take care of your valuables.
i mean, have them zipped FAR underneath your clothes.

no sense getting off to a bad start and making it easy for these louses that are hanging around everywhere posing as fellow travellers.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:40 AM

The metro extension to T4 is going to be ready for sure next friday due to the local elections scheduled for May 27th.

The best way to get to Av. America is by bus. No need to transfer. The only issue you can find is a traffic chaos, but I think it can't last more than 30 minutes..., bus drivers usually use some tricks to avoid those problems
If you're aware of this issue you can use the metro system (L8), but you will need to transfer in Colombia to L9 (easy transfer) or in Nuevos Ministerios to L6 (longer transfer and not as easy).
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:57 AM

Today metro line#8 has been extended to T4 terminal.