Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

single rooms in Relais bosquet an hotel de fleurie

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

I read good comments regarding those hotels. liked their locations and the services.

but, most comments are from families.
anyone has experience with the single rooms in those hotels ?
thank you
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 11:10 PM

Typically single rooms in Paris hotels are much smaller than regular double rooms. The bed usually takes up practically the entire room.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM

Best thing to do is ask the hotel for the room dimensions and bed size.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 06:40 AM

I don't have any personal experience with either hotel, but there's a review on Tripadvisor (dated November 18, 2005) by someone who stayed in a single room at the Hotel de Fleurie. The reviewer says, "The room is very small, but I was quite comfortable", and concludes by saying she would stay there again. (I made a mental note of the review at the time, to remind myself to look into the de Fleurie for my next solo trip to Paris.)
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:30 AM

While we stayed in a double room (superior double they called it) at Relais Bosquet, Frederique who works the front desk/reservations (and is still there to the best of my knowledge) gave me very explicit room size dimensions when I asked. We really appreciated that. Just ask!! Relais Bosquet was great, of the many hotels we have stayed in over the years in Paris it remains one of our favorites. Nice location, close to Metro, close to banks (ATM), close to Rue Cler, Eiffel Tower, etc.

If you really are worried about a single room (and they probably are tiny in most hotels) then splurge for a double -- but I'd still ask the room size/dimensions anyway.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 08:03 AM

I don't think comments on tripadvisor, etc. are very useful when people say the room was small or a good size or whatever but then don't estimate what the size was. People's ideas of what is small or adequate vary all over the place.

I agree you should ask and get the info from the hotel -- I always do when I'm staying in a place more than a few days. As for the Relais Bosquet, they are one of the best hotels in giving thorough information on their website, including room sizes. They say a std room for single or double occupancy is 17 m2 or about 180 SF. They don't seem to have any rooms solely called "single rooms" as some hotels do, as none are listed in their price list, so I imagine that is what is being quoted. The hotel I usually stay in doesn't really have any rooms called "single rooms" either that I know of, they just have single rates and put those folks in the smaller standard double rooms. I think if a hotel specifically labels a room a single room, it will probably be really small and usually a bad location or other problems, but I'd ask them myself. Every single room I've had in Paris that was labeled that by the hotel was not very nice in a variety of ways (mainly location in the hotel--bad view, noisy, next to elevator, weird windows, etc), which is why I won't book one any more, but the small difference in price isn't an issue in my budget any more like it was when I was younger but I know it is for some folks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

what I really meant is what Christina wrote, about the setting and amenities of the single rooms.
I don't mind small rooms and travel light.
at the Relais it is a double room. I will ask them at the Flurie.
I was a few years ago at the Caron de Beaumarchais and it was a double too.
thank you all.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:16 AM

Agree w/ Christina - my experience in Europe with rooms explicitly labeled as "single" is that they are very often rather cramped and not well located within the property.
FYI, if you are so inclined many hotels will offer a choice of "double room for single occupancy" at a rate higher than single but less than a double occupied by two persons.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM

skaf, it isn't just that it is a double room, but that if a hotel calls a room a "single room" it is usually different in some way and that isn't necessarily the bed size (I have never actually been in a hotel in Europe in a single room that had less than a double-size bed). I wouldn't expect amenities to ever vary by room, though, what exactly are you concerned about in that regard? If a hotel has hair dryers or TVs, it will usually have them in all rooms, or things like that. Of course, some rooms may only have showers and not tubs, but that's pretty common in all kinds of rooms in hotels now. I actually had a single room in a Paris hotel that had a huge bathroom, which was weird -- the bathroom was about as big as the bedroom.

I think the main difference is going to be location in the hotel if a hotel calls a room a "single room", in addition to room size. They are usually the worst location in the hotel. But I think the issue here is that the Relais Bosquet doesn't really have anything called a "single room", right? I don't know about the Fleurie. So at the Relais Bosquet, they might have a few rooms they tend to use when someone books single occupancy of a double room, and I guess that's what you are wondering about, what they are like. If all their std doubles are about the same size, though, it really shouldn't matter as it's probably no different than their std. double rooms.

I have stayed in quite a few hotels that didn't have any special rooms for that category, so you were just as likely to get a certain room as a couple booking a standard double.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

actually I had more than once single rooms without air-condition in an air-conditioned hotel.
but I checked with those hotels and it is o.k.
I am doing something funny this time and splitting my time between two hotels. I am very sure about the Relais.
BTW, is it true that Americans already book for next spring, and I should do it to be sure of a room ?
seems too early to me.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:56 AM

It is a wise idea to book for Spring now. While Americans may book further in advance then others (I honestly do not know that for sure tho) it's a good idea if you want a specific hotel.