Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What European novel would you like to see made into a movie?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've all been talking about our favorite movies set in Europe...how about novels that SHOULD be made into movies? Who would you cast?
I'll start...my vote goes for Maupassant's Bel Ami. Technically it already *has* been made into a move (with Angela Lansbury) but it was terrible and completely murdered the original novel (in the movie, Bel Ami DIES in the duel while in the novel he survives and goes on his merry way). I'd pick Jude Law for the title character, Jean Reno for the scheming publisher.
Second choice would be George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London. Stars are up for grabs, but I'd love to stick Hugh Grant in there somewhere.
Both books are surpisingly contemporary--much of what they said about ambition, cynicism, politics, journalism, money, work, homelessness, etc., still ring true.
Your turn!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:01 AM

I'll be a party pooper here. I wouldn't want any of my favorite books made into a movie. When I read a book, *I* am the casting director, the scenery designer, the cinematographer... The book is forever changed for me after I see the movie. Same with music, I usually like the song better before I see the video. Bah humbug : )
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:08 AM

The Coffee Trader : )
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 03:10 AM

Nutella, you go girl! Could not agree more, movies are taking away our greatest gift: our own imagination!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:23 AM

1,000 Days in Venice.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:45 AM

I somewhat agree that making a book into a movie can spoil it, but I think filmmakers are getting better. My daughter just saw "I Capture the Castle" and said that all of the characters were exactly as she had imagined.

One book that would make a wonderful movie is "The Rose Grower" by Michelle de Kretser, which takes place in the Dordogne during the French Revolution. The costumes, the scenery, the action (it opens with a hot-air balloon coming down in the family estate)--it could be wonderful.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:13 AM

I'd love to see a movie of Fool's Gold, by Jane S. Smith (which maybe isn't technically a European novel, because the author is American, but I'm stretching the definition to include any novel set in Europe.) It's about an American family who rent a house in Provence and have a decidedly un-Peter-Mayle-like experience there. It's very, very funny (it satirizes the art world and the academic world, in a mostly good-natured way), it has a big cast of characters, and there's plenty of action, with several subplots that are all tied up at the end in a very satisfying way.

P.S. - Cluny, I also loved The Rose Grower and think it would make a great movie. I see that Michelle de Kretser has written another novel, called The Hamilton Case, which sounds very different (it's set in Ceylon, in the 1930's). As far as I can tell, it has been published only in England so far, not in the U.S. I'm wondering if it would be worth buying a copy the next time I'm in London; have you by any chance read it, or do you know anything about it?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:41 AM

Bree,
I'd noticed that she's written this new one; the reviews have been very good. I just checked out the on-line book sellers. It's out in paperback in the UK, but I can still only get it in hard cover in Canada. Interestingly, Amazon.ca has it, Amazon.com doesn't.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for mentioning The Rose Grower! I went down to Waterstone's in central Brussels to get a copy but it wasn't in stock. It's been ordered and should arrive in about two weeks. It sounds like a great read.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:37 PM

It's a silly, funny, but lighthearted book written by Sophie Kinsella, called "Confessions of a Shopaholic" but it takes place throughout London, and is the tale of Becky Bloomwood. Anyone that loves to shop in London might get a kick out of this book. I can imagine Renee Zelwegger playing the lead character, and it would be the ultimate chick flick. By the way, this is the first book in a trilogy; the other two are "A Shopaholic Takes New York" and "A Shopaholic Gets Married".
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 07:32 AM

I'll go cheesy & say "Cry to Heaven". (I could have been classy & said "The Red & the Black" or the Charterhouse of Parma" but what the heck!)

BC
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Any of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series but especially HMS Surprise and Mauritius Command.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Bookchick, I'll go with the Parmesan. I love "Cry to Heaven" but can't imagine who would play the lead. Michael Jackson? Ewwwwwwwww.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Flaubert's <i>A Sentimental Education</i>, because it has everything -- love, wild parties and debauchery, political uprising, satire of every class of society. It would be a great period piece. Not sure who to cast as the &quot;hero.&quot; Someone young, handsome, earnest, but also a bit foolish and immature.
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Beowulf - That way every high school kid stuck with having to read it could cheat and watch the movie version instead. Come to think of it, wasn't Antonio Banderas' &quot;The Thirteenth Warrior&quot; the same thing?
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:17 AM

<u>Madame Bovary</u>. <u>Le P&egrave;re Goriot</u>. <u>And Quiet Flows the Don.</u>

BTW, skilled directors can film in such a way that one's imagination <i>amplifies</i> the action on the screen. Remember when Clyde's brother got shot in <i>Bonny and Clyde</i>? You didn't see it, but his wife screamed &quot;Buck's got shot in the eye!&quot;

Imagining it was worse than seeing it, and Arthur Penn knew it.
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:29 AM

&quot;McCarthy's Bar&quot; &amp; I will volunteer to play the lead.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Brother of the more famous Jack by Barbara Trapido is one of the best love stories I've ever read.

Or...can I cheat and have a half and half? &quot;No Great Mischief&quot; by Alistair Macleod is set in Canada but is about the effect of the Clearances on a Scots family; and is fantastic
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Robespierre: These novels have all been filmed several times. Madame Bovary has many film versions, including those by such distinguished directors as Claude Chabrol, Vincente Minelli and Jean Renoir. Pere Goriot was filmed for TV as recently as last year with Charles Aznavour as Goriot, and had a number of film versions before that. And Quiet Flows the Don was filmed twice. I remember seeing the latest (1957) version when it was released in N. America.

Any suggestions on who should make the new versions?
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Never mind. I misread the premise and skipped the detail. But if you want to know what movies of European novels I'd like to see, I do have a fairly long list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -