Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel de Lutece, St. Louis en lle or Hotel de Fleurie (Paris)

Oct 19th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I am trying to choose a nice (charming) hotel again. Both of the choices above are similar in cost. I read comments that Hotel de Lutece has small rooms but I requested a triple with 2 beds for myself and my relative. I'm interested in this hotel as it's on Ile St. Louis and judging from comments it's a very nice location.

Hotel de Fleurie seems very nice too! So I am having a puzzling time deciding between these two hotels. It would be great to have a nice view and I don't think Fleurie has any but I am not sure if the triple at Hotel de Lutece has one-does anyone know?

If anyone has any reason(s) that one is more favorable than the other, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:17 PM

We stayed in the Lutece , a number of years ago. We were on the fifth floor over the rue St-Louis en Ille. We had a double room, with two twin beds and while the room was tiny, the bathroom was very big (maybe bigger than the bedroom) and there were two windows, looking over the rooftops . If you lean way out ( I scared my husband) you can almost see Notre Dame. And how bad is any hotel that is steps away from Berthillon?
They have a fireplace in the lobby and a comfy sofa..the usual teeny elevator for two. They are happy to bring room service(breakfast) at no cost since the breakfast room is also very small.
I think any room on the 4th, 5th, 6th floor on the street side have views. Once you get to the 5th floor, you must walk to the 6th.
A lovely dilemma
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:26 PM

We stayed at de Lutece last June and loved it. The Ile is like a little oasis in the midst of the city. The hotel staff was great and the location can't be beat in my opinion -- 5 minutes walk to Notre Dame and 5 in the other direction into the Marais. Metro stop also very close, maybe 2 blocks.

If you email them and ask about the triple, I'm sure they can tell you if it faces the street and therefore has a view.

Our room was small, but not as tiny as I had expected. When I remarked on this at check out, I learned that it is one of the larger rooms in the hotel. Still, the door into the room and the closet door had a problem with both wanting to occupy the same space at the same time.

If it is important to you, also check on the bath/shower arrangement in your room. Some do not have showers, but only bathtubs. Bathroom was newly renovated and great otherwise.

Sorry, can't comment on de Fleurie!
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your feedback. I was told that the triple room has a shower. I need to ask the hotel about the location of the room.

I know we won't care to go out to look for breakfast since the weather will be quite cold. How was the breakfast at the hotel?
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett and Marilyn, what can you say about the furnishings at the Lutece? Are they nice or shabby?
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:52 PM

We had the breakfast only one morning and thought it was excellent. Pots of coffee and hot milk to mix your own cafe au lait and fresh flaky croissants with various jams. Although I think the optional breakfasts in most Parisian hotels are absurdly expensive (10-15E pp for juice, crossants, and coffee), it will cost you almost as much at a local cafe, and at least this was delicious. We would probably have more breakfasts at the hotel next time.

Furnishings were very nice, not at all shabby. Not super fancy a la Louis XIV, rather more casual and country, but very charming and well-kept-up. We paid about 50E more per night for the Millesime on Rue Jacob, and de Lutece was a lot nicer in my opinion. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

It sounds really nice-thanks. I am sort of wary about hotels that are "charming" because alot claim to be but turn out to be more "shabby" than charming. Sorry about the Millesime. I think it's almost the same feeling I had about Hotel d'Angleterre in St. Germain. It was a great location but the room wasn't what I expected for the rate.
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:13 PM

I know exactly what you mean, francophile. The Millesime was OK, but when I'm paying 200 bucks a night, at the very least I don't expect anything to be shabby. Maybe I'm just living in the past, pricewise!

I actually liked the Ile location better than Rue Jacob, but I suppose that depends on what sort of neighborhood you prefer. In any case, please post after your trip and let us know what you thought about whichever hotel you choose.
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Hi,
Marilyn would know the condition of the rooms better, having been there more recently than I. I do remember the fabrics in the room being Provencal prints and very warm and pretty. I don't even remember if there was a closet, LOL, the room was pretty small!
Breakfast was excellent, croissants and very good coffee (my usual)..there is a wonderful Frommagerie and Pattisserie right across the street. My habit quickly became one of stopping for a sweet on my way to the room each afternoon. Beware~
My daughter will be staying there this spring when she goes for her first trip to Paris
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. The hotel responded that the triple is facing the back of the hotel. The island sounds so nice to stay for a change but the Fleurie really looks more spacious and seems to have a larger breakfast. It is pretty difficult to make the decision. I'm not good at trip reports but at least I can give some feedback about the hotel I do choose in the end.
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Marilyn,

I've requested a room at Hotel de Lutece in November. Do you happen to remember the room number of your "larger" room, or do you know if rooms on certain floors or areas are the larger ones? Similarly, do certain floors/areas tend to have showers v. just bathtubs? Thanks!
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:38 PM

rmmr, I think the shower/bathtub thing is random. You would need to ask, or let them know if you have a definite preference.

I didn't make a note of our room number because I only found out it was one of the "larger" rooms when we were checking out and on our way to the airport. It did face the front and was on one of the higher floors, but not the top. I will dig up my bill and see if it has the room number. But do be aware that "larger" room is very much a relative term!
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Room 441. (I hope everyone is suitably impressed!)
And breakfast was 10E pp.
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:15 PM

Marilyn, I am truly impressed--thanks so much! Yesterday they emailed me that they had available rooms. I emailed back requesting a "larger room, if possible" and one with a shower. They replied with a confirmation which simply said that I had a double with "bath or shower" --oh well, we'll see. One other question--any restaurant/cafe or shopping recommendations on Ile St. Louis?

Thanks!
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:46 PM

Try a search. I know there are restaurants people like on the Ile (La Reine Blanche?), but we didn't really "dine" there -- just pizza one night in a little cafe. Berthillon is almost across the street from the hotel, so that takes care of your ice cream needs. There are some cute shops, but I would head into the Marais for shopping. I was crazy about a couple of the stores I saw there. I don't think I have the names but...I'll look!
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:48 PM

francophile, our favorite meal was at Au Bascou. Great food and service, just a wonderful evening. It's on the Right Bank (Rue Reaumur or something like that), not too far from where you are staying. Again, a search should pull it up. Have a bon voyage!
Oct 24th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Topping for Gourmand
Oct 24th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I stayed at the Lutece in May 2002. It was the largest hotel room I ever had in Paris, more comparable to an "American" hotel room.

Sorry, I don't remember the room number but I had a double room on the 3rd or 4th floor. It was in the back, so there was no view and it was quite dark. Also there was a stale odor of cigarette smoke in the room.

The room was certainly not shabby but honestly could have used a little freshening up - meaning some newer furnishings, paint and fabrics.

The bathroom was also large, with a tub, no shower but a shower attachment.

In spite of what I just said, this was still my favorite place to stay in Paris (this was my 6th visit). The hotel is charming, the staff is courteous and the location is really perfect.

So you may find that the triple room is also large. If it is in the back though, I would not expect a view.
Oct 24th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Hi
You've all got my attention.
Anyone have a direct website or email for Hotel de Lutece?
I tried www.hotel-ile-saintlouis.com
but ended up at a hotel group booking site.
Oct 24th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Hi elaine!
My daughter is going to be staying at the Lutece in the spring. I found this website for her:

http://www.jetsetting.net/article.php?sid=238

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO