Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seville to Jerez...train? bus? Where? How?

May 20th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Hello.....I am in Sevilla now! We'd like to take a trip to Jerez, and possibly onto Cadiz in the next day or two but we have no clue how to get there! Do we need to take a cab to the train station to get tickets? Do we need tickets in advance? Is it better to take a bus? And if so, where do we catch a bus? We see some bus stops, but how do we know what the routes are and where do we pay? See our problem...we are feeling like dummies and need some expert help, ha!!

BTW, we are staying at Hotel Alcantara...
May 20th, 2012, 02:28 AM

The bus to Jerez leaves frequently from the Prado de San Sebastián bus station just east of the Santa Cruz district (Linesur bus company, about 75 minutes).

Or you can take the train from the close by Santa Justa train station.

Both are some 7 mins walk from Hotel Alcantara.

By the way, hope you know what's going on in the ground floor at your hotel! Tonight plain fantastic Pastora Galván dances. She was voted best female flamenco dancer by Spanish critics last year. Would definitely try to get tickets, and leave the Jerez/Cadiz excursion to tomorrow. The perfromance could easily be the highlight of your trip: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Andalucia.html

When in Jerez, you are only a "stone throw" away from Cádiz.
May 20th, 2012, 02:34 AM

... and you buy tickets on the station, normally no need to book in advance, at least not for the bus.

But serious, you should stay in Sevilla tonight for Pastora Galván dancing 20 meters from the entrance to your hotel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2SBUcrJgeQ
May 20th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you soooo much for this information!

And yes, we were planning on seeing Flamenco tonight, so that is great to know we'll be seeing such a great performer! They said we need to buy tickets at 6pm, does that sound right? Last night we thought we'd go but it was sold out. Don't want that to happen again!
May 20th, 2012, 02:47 AM

Try to get tickets as soon as possible! when Pastora dances they are sold out very fast, and at 6 there will probably be no left. You could hope she does a second performance later in the night, as she sometimes does when dancing here, but I would't take the chance...
May 20th, 2012, 03:12 AM

A little more to build up the tension for tonight:

Pastora Galván is from Sevilla, baby sister to the most cutting edge flamenco dancer today Israel Galván and daughter of old school living flamenco legend José Galván. Pastora was arguably the greatest star of the last edition of the Bienal in Sevilla, the largest and most prestigious flamenco festival in the world.

Tonight she is performing together with her husband Cristian Guerrero on cante/song, he's the guy singing in the video I posted above. You will also see young dancer Antonio Molina "El Choro" and Pedro Sánchez on guitar.
May 20th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

We got the tickets this morning! Woo hoo!
May 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM

Be there a little early and try to get a seat at the front row. Intimate setting and only two-three rows. Enjoy!
May 20th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Kimhe,

Thank you so much for posting that video! Wow! Wow! Wow!
May 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM

I'd take the bus as the Prado de San Sebastian station is just a 10 minute walk from your hotel while the train station is about 25 minutes. If you decide to visit Cadiz you can also reach from the same bus station - it's about 2 hours each way.
May 20th, 2012, 09:54 AM

I went to Jerez and did it by bus from the station mentioned. Those buses are nice and easy, very comfortable and direct. I didn't buy my ticket in advance, just went to the station a bit ahead, although I had researched some and kind of knew the time schedule, I believe. I think the bus is actually more efficient to Jerez and the station is closer.