Train question - Sevilla to Cordoba

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are lots of threads on the subject of trains in Spain but I can't find the answer to this question: What is the difference between AVANT and AVE trains. They both take the same amount of time (45 minutes). The only difference I can see is that AVANT doesn't have first class. I know Andalucia Express is old crappy trains (and takes almost twice as long) but would AVANT be OK if the time is right for us? It's cheaper, even in tourist class. I really don't care much about great comfort - it's only a 45 min trip.

Second question - on the renfe site there seems to be an option to print tickets. Has anyone done this. It's listed on a side menu, but under the instructions for buying tickets it doesn't say anything about printing them, it says you have to use your localizer number to pick them up at the station.

Thanks

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Renfe doesn't allow you to print your tickets if it is the first time you buy a ticket online. You have to pick them up at the station showing the localizer number and very important, the credit card you used for buying them. If you buy tickets again from the Renfe website you can print them and just board the train.
The Avant services are the same of the Ave but they call it that way for medium distances (AVE is for long ones). You don't have Preferente (1st class) but you still have Club class (which is supposed to be even better). I don't think it deserves the higher price for such a short trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kenderina. So I should just buy my tickets and bring the number and the credit card to the station the day of the trip? Is an hour enough time to get to the station before the train time?

Maybe you can answer another question. We also need to go from Cordoba to Granada (two days later). Looks like bus is faster (and cheaper and better times) than train. Do bus tickets need to be reserved ahead of time (on line?). If we don't reserve them on-line, is just going to the station an hour before the bus leaves ok or would we need to go the day before? Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM

One hour should be enough..but I wouldn't risk, one hour and a half won't hurt in case there's a line to pick up your tickets and also you have to have your luggage x-rayed before boarding the train. When are you travelling ? I mean, if it's a day where lots of people travel, you should take it on account.
I usually buy bus tickets the day before, but that's me , I'm a bit on the safe side I don't think you would have a problem to get the tickets the same day, I think there should be more than one a day..so the worst scenario is you have to wait for the next one. Again, if your dates are just ordinary days, you can do it all in a breeze
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I'll buy the tickets for Sevilla to Cordoba now and wait on the bus tickets to Granada at least till I get to Cordoba. We are traveling on a Monday (March 12) and Wednesday (March 14). As far as I know there is nothing special happening that week. Thanks again.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM

No, nothing special in Andalucia Valencia's Fallas began the 15th !!!