Seville or Granada?

Search

Seville or Granada?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville or Granada?

I'm in Barcelona mid-January for business and wanted to take a few days to horse ride in the south (warmer). Which area is more interesting for both rural and city touring/sightseeing?

Plus, has anyone taken an equestrian holiday and where would you recommend? I've sourced 2 so far: Rancho Ferrer in the foothills of the Alpujarras; or Spirit of Andalucia in Almaden-de-la-Plata, 75km north of Seville.

Thanks so much for your feedback!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM

I'm mostly replying to top this for you. I don't ride, so can't really answer you question, but have to say that both Seville and Granada are very interesting as places to see, depending on your tastes. Do some searches on both here and in google.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both should be good. Neither coastal so may not be warm, just not cold. Neither will be bad. Grenada more tourist focused. Both on train system. Google is best but for me Grenada is the good for what you want, Seville for when you have more time
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:57 AM

Granada will be significantly colder than Seville at that time of year, due to the altitude of the city. (There will be snow in the Sierra Nevada and the ski resorts will be open.) While it can warm up quite a lot by mid afternoon (you could even be sitting outside in shirt-sleeves), morning and evening/night time temperatures can be extremely chilly. I think the city is beautiful in the winter though, especially on a clear, sunny day, when you get wonderful views of the snow-capped mountains in the distance.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM

You may want to take this warning into consideration:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=0&start=0
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies! Good tip too, about the construction in Seville.

I've found another couple of places to consider for horse riding. One would be near Mijas Costa, the other in Tarifa. Which would you recommend for local flavor?

Is Malaga intersting to explore? Has anyone taken the ferry to Morocco for a day trip? Would you recommend?
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Have you checked out the famous (and wonderful) riding school in Jarez--near Seville?
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Oh right, happytrailstoyou, I forgot about the horse ballets!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:34 AM
car

mmack
Horse riding is much more interesting in Sevilla- Cadiz area than in Granada specialy in the middle of January.
Granada and las Alpujarras is a very high mountain area and I am not even sure they will take rides in January and if they do it will be limited in terms of places to go and places to stay.
Granada is beautiful sightseeing but as said riding is basicaly a lot of walking in mountains.
IMO the best area for riding is Cadiz,
there is a combination of beaches,and natural reserves areas that makes it very attractive.
http://www.riding-in-andalucia.com/trails.html

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it does seem that the riding might be better in the Cadiz area. I am looking into riding with spirit-of-andalucia.com, out of Mijas. Thanks!