Grenada or Seville?

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grenada or Seville?

Hi all-

I am taking a trip to the south of Spain and I only have five days (arriving Monday morning, departing Friday evening). I would like to do both Seville and Grenada, but I dont know if this will be too much for the amount of time that I have. Is it too much for this time period? If you had to pick one or the other, which would you choose?
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:55 AM

We much preferred Granada than Sevilla. The town itself was very pleasant and we thoroughly enjoyed the Alhambra. We also stayed at a fabulous AC hotel that was in a converted monestary. That being said, I think 5 days is enough time to visit both cities.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:03 AM

We much preferred Seville to Granada but I agree that 5 days is enough time to visit both. We spent one day and night in Granada and 4 nights in Seville. You must see the Alhambra but otherwise, we didn't find much in Granada that we liked as well as Seville. Seville is exactly like I have always pictured Spain.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:03 AM

You mean Granada, I presume. To do Grenada and Seville would take some doing.

I was in Granada many decades ago, it was a fabulous place. However, I was in Seville a couple of months ago and adored it. Fabulous city, fantastic scenery too.

I suppose you can do pretty much anywhere and anything in a day, admittedly it'll just be a glance, but a glimpse is better than nothing I suppose.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:17 AM

Five days is more than adequate to do justice to both places. IMO, you don't need more than a day for Granada - we liked it very much, but just concentrated on the Alhambra and Ferdinand and Isabella. Seville could occupy you for several days.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:37 AM

I loved both!! Spend a night in Granada and the others in Sevilla. There is a lot to see in Granada but a full day there should be enough if you start early.

Make sure you purchase your Alhambra tickets in advance so that you do not need to stand in line all morning and risk not getting in at all (this actually happened to us, we barely made it in).
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:41 AM

We just returned from both. We spent our time in Granada at the Alhambra and basically ignored the rest of the place. Whether or not we should have is anyone's guess.

After having seen a lot of "Moorish" architecture within and out a variety of places/buildings in Spain and elsewhere, we were somewhat underwhelmed by parts of the Alhambra (the N. Palace comes to mind) and absolutely blown away by others (the Generalife).

We spent three nights in Seville. IMO the main attraction, other than the architecture, is the cathedral. We also enjoyed the flamenco offerings.

Three nights and days were more than enough for us.

I think you can easily do both places in five days if you plan carefully and concentrate on the so-called "highlights"....OK, the places everyone usually goes to these two places to see.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:46 AM

As a follow-on re the tickets: we ordered ours in advance over the internet. When we arrived (in late July) we still had to wait almost 45 minutes in a line that was for people who had ordered tickets in advance!

This may not be as much of an "issue" at other times of the year but I would also recommend ordering in advance.

I would also recommend trying to stay at the parador on the grounds of the Alhambra, especially if that is to be your main focus in Granada, and if you can even get a reservation and you feel the price is worth it.

Enjoy both cities!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM

I've been to The Alhambra three times in the last 6 years and never once bought tickets in advance. I guess we have been lucky because it has never been a problem to get in.