Semana Santa questions

Mar 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Semana Santa questions

We are spending several days during SS in Seville (staying in Alameda district).

So far, I have been able to find only ITINERARIOS OFICIALES SEMANA SANTA DE SEVILLA 2010 , but nothing yet on 2011.
How far ahead of SS are they published?
We would like to see some processions, but also avoid "running" into them all day or night. Possible?
Is there a dress code for visiting the Cathedral ?
We have to leave for the airport early in the morning...are taxis easy to flag?
( not staying in a hotel).
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Mar 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Semana Santa, Seville - All I can offer is 'the itineraries for this year will be fixed on April 3rd' from an answer to a post from a local on Tripadvisor. If I come across anything afterward I will post here.

Dress code in any latin country for a cathedral (but you will probably be excused because you likely do not know as foreigner/tourist) - conservatively/not showing bare legs and arms/unnecessary flesh.

Taxis - sorry no idea, but yes flag or go to the nearest rank or arrange.
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info.
At St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, they measured the length of my skirt -it was too short . Had to buy a longer one!
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:43 PM

I dont' think it is as strict in Spain as Italy as far as dress codes for churches. If you dress respectfully you should be fine.

If you're staying near the Cathedral most of the day from 5pm through the night is packed with processionals. However, if you're away from this area unless there's a processional in your area you can usually avoid the crowd.
Mar 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks Cathy.
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:09 AM

I managed to find the Itineraries and timetables of the processions for Holy Week 2011 at the site below:

http://ecijacofrade.com/index.php?op...cias&Itemid=18
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM

This link is for the processionals in Ecija, a town about an hour from Sevilla. It's supposed to be a wonderful town to visit during Semana Santa but it's not Sevilla
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:28 AM

There isn't any dress code in Spanish cathedrals that I've ever noticed. I hope you are talking about just visiting during the day as a tourist because if you go to a service I presume you would therefore believe in the religion and show some respect. But I saw people visiting as a tourist during the day (in Seville) wearing about anything, within reason. Meaning no rules about measuring skirts or not allowing sleeveless blouses or whatever. Wombatt is incorrect that there are rules like that in any "Latin" country, whatever that means. I have never heard that term applied to any country in Europe, only countries called Latin America. If that refers to origins of language, it's not true in France, either.

Schedules of things should be in local papers.
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

again, thanks for the input.

I visited Sevilla in the 80s, so I could not remember the "protocol". We are not going to a service.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM

Christina,

Very surprised you have not heard the term 'latin' applied as a general term for European countries such as Italy, France, Portugal and Spain where very many are Roman Catholic and the language base is Latin.
Yes, you may enter the Catedral as you wish and as I said you will be excused, but I, for one, will not be happy with your lack of respect in that cocktail dress or shorts with your backside hanging out.

Best wishes.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

"Very surprised you have not heard the term 'latin' applied as a general term for European countries such as Italy, France, Portugal and Spain where very many are Roman Catholic and the language base is Latin.

I have never heard of France being called a "Latin" country.

BTW, many words in English have Latin roots -
including the word "language".

"ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French langage, based on Latin lingua ‘tongue.’"
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM

danon,
Just available - so far - http://tiny.cc/q0nl4

We can debate the present language if you want, but it is not a part of my explanation of the use of the word 'latin' as used by my contemporaries and I. And yes, France is a part of the explanation and please note there is no capital 'L'.

Best wishes.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Interesting question about France and other "latin" or Latin countries
since French is also the official language of Quebec (Canada) and Belgium (one of the two).
If one refers to Romance languages it gets even more confusing.

"The Romance languages (sometimes referred to as Romanic languages, Latin languages, Neolatin languages or Neo-Latin languages) Nowadays the six most widely spoken standardized Romance languages are Spanish/Castilian (about 500 million), Portuguese (about 240 million), French (about 250 million), Italian (about 70 million), Romanian (about 30 million), and Catalan (about 14 million)."
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:16 PM

danon- if you got to the page: http://www.galeon.com/juliodominguez/ and scroll down to PROGRAMA DE LA SEMANA SANTA DE SEVILLA 2011 you will see listed the various activities for all religious groups and churches in Seville including the procession(s) routes. Hope you can read and understand Spanish. Any help, I'll be glad to help translate.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Viajero2

My Spanish is o.k. One time in Barcelona
I said to a taxi driver " Lo siento , no parlo català." ( to be nice).
He answered : "Yo tampoco"!
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM

HAhahaha!! that's a good one!!

Have fun in España!!-- such an AMAZING country! I am heading out there again in May! Can't wait!
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Gracias,
LOVE the country and the language .
Apr 5th, 2011, 12:38 AM

danon,

Do you need any more on Semana Santa 2011? - http://www.hermandades-de-sevilla.or...tinerarios.htm