ordering opera tickets in Madrid?

Apr 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

ordering opera tickets in Madrid?

I am having a very hard time searching for a site where i can order Opera tickets for July 2011 at the Teatro Real. Many just lead me to a deadend or tourist sites with information but no link to order the tickets. Has anyone been successful in the past? I would prefer not to wait until we are there since we are only spending 3 days in Madrid.
Thanks
Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM

I don´t know which opera are you planning to watch.
If it is Messiaen´s "Saint François d´Assise", it will be held in Madrid Caja Mágica, not in the Teatro Real, and it will go on sale on the 26th of April.

Tosca, from mid July on, will also be sold from the 26th of April. If you know exactly the day you want to go, try to buy them that same day, because tickets fly ... You won´t have problems picking them up at the Teatro Real, there are two dedicated machines.

Go there through www.teatro-real.com . The tickets are sold in
http://www.generaltickets.com/teatro-real/ (I don´t think there is an english version). Ah, and you can buy max two tickets per opera, to avoid scalpers.

Bye, Cova
Apr 2nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help and suggetions. We were able to get our tickets online for Tosca on July 27th at Teatro Real. We are very excited to have this in place prior to arriving and look forward to being in Madrid experiencing Tosca at such a renown venue!
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM

Olddognan, the tickets are not yet being sold, not until the end of April. Where have you got the tickets?

It sounds a bit strange to me, really. If they are legitimate ... they will be overpriced for sure.

Rgds, Cova
Apr 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Now I'm nervous - we ordered them through Divento.com. We just heard back from them today confirming our order and they are awaiting the response from their office in Spain.

I hope it is all legitimate and taht we don't lose our $$.
Thanks for your caution. I hope it all works out for us!
Apr 5th, 2011, 01:22 AM

Well ... you have already bought the tickets and it seems that they are not refundable, so not crying over spilled milk ...

I was last Saturday at an art gallery where a friend works, and the manager of the Teatro Real happened to be there at the same time, so I asked him. As I told you, tickets for the general public will be on sale at the end of April. You would have got them at the normal price plus a 2 euros booking fee.
Right now they are selling Tosca tickets for owners of season passes, so his guess is that maybe these agencies have managed to get hold of some of these tickets. The other option they have detected are agencies managing to bypass the "only two tickets per opera and person" rule by using many different cards, but they will get them in April, at the same time as normal people.

I only hope you don´t get charge an outrageous amount for pretty normal tickets. On Sunday we went to watch "Werther". We had paid around 50 euros. Just behind us there were two american gentlemen who had bought the tickets through an agency (didn´t ask which one) and had paid around 100 euros each. The seats were so bad that they had to stand the whole time to be able to see something of the stage.

Cross my fingers hoping you don´t have that experience ...

Bye, Cova