Seeking English to German Translation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - My husband and son are traveling to Germany next month - May, 2005. We have relatives in the Sauerland area that we have NOT had contact with since 1984. This is were my grandfather was born. My husband would like to re-connect with our German relatives during his travels.

We have composed a letter of (re) introduction that we would like to send to them, prior to arrival. The english speaking relative we used to keep in contact with has since passed on, so we hope to write both an english and german version of the letter and send both. We have used a web site to translate from English to German, but I am not all that comfortable with the results. I am concerned about grammatical errors, etc.

Is there someone on this forum that is fluent in English and German, that would consider helping us with this project? I know it is a lot to ask, but would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks, Terry
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Hallo Terry!

Post it here and I'll have a go at it for you or contact me at:

<[email protected]>

The machine-translators like Alta Vista are very poor,and you are quite correct to be concerned about using one.

Harzer
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Danke Harzer! - I will send my letter to your e-mail address.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Terry I'm so sorry but I mistakenly cancelled your message. Please post it here because I think you are on my junkmail list now - cringe! - and I can't get it any more. Sorry again, it will be top priority for me.

Harzer crawls into a corner
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Go to free translation.com where you will find two translation options, free and professional. If you choose the free option, the text is translated instantly. There would probably be some minor mistakes in the free translation, but it should still be acceptable.

But if the letter is really formal then you could go with the professional option, but it's not free. as they say on the website, someone fluent in the language would do the translation professionally for you.

And If this is really formal and important to you, I wouldn't count on a complete stranger offering to help like harzer; what if he's kidding around and would add in all kinds of inappropriate stuff in the letter to get a kick out of it!

If there is a university in your town you could get help from a foriegn language tutor for free !
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Hi Terry,
ralf005 is technically correct in what he says re strangers, however I feel that you really should have a little more faith and trust in people. Harzer has been offering useful information here for almost 2 years from what I can see.His offer to help is pretty kind I think. I just want to add that my faith in mankind is a little more than yours, in that I have met several 'friends' from this forum in Australia and some americans. None of them have been axe murderers, in fact they have been really nice people who have something in common, i.e they all love to travel.
So Whilst I agree care should always be taken, you shouldn't automatically assume that they are going to be bad guys, just because they offer help.

Off my soap box now !!

Sorry it's just my humble opinion.
This could be a subject for a new and interesting thread don't you think?

Muck

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:56 PM
hsv

I'm German and suppose I am pretty fluent speaking it...;-)
I therefore second harzer's suggestion you post that letter. harzer and I could make a joint effort and should be able to achieve a decent result.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM
rex

I encourage you to read the entire spectrum of <i><b>truly bizarro</b></i> posts by &quot;ralf005&quot;, especially on the thread &quot;Bon voyage Elaine&quot; - - in the past 24-48 hours, there have been some <i>seemingly</i> normal posts by this individual, but the whole picture leads me to dismiss this equally ludicrous assertion that one should question the motives of a venerable and respected veteran like <i>harzer</i>. It's a baseless undermining of the basic premise of how this forum works.

And now, the success in creating havoc here hs been further extended by the starting of this new thread, mucky, on whether Fodorites should be <u>trusted</u>!?

Fortunately, the voice of reason came forward quickly on that thread, beginning with a reply from Ben Haines.

I'd like to see the editors delete the comments on this thread, by &quot;ralf&quot;, the mucky response - - and perhaps the entire &quot;trust&quot; thread as well.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:32 AM

rx what you said has nothing to do with this thread. I made some posts that some people may find inappropriate ONLY to people who deserved it.
This post is really irrelevant to this particular thread, but I will respond only time to people wondering I why I sometimes post inappropriate posts.

The other day I post a thread saying that I felt a little uncomfortable eating alone at upscale restaurants, and I just asked if anyone on the message boards was like me. and they all attacked me saying that I was either a &quot;troll&quot; or someone with extremely low self esteem! and later I found out that actually alot of people are like that!

And the other day I posted a thread on the safety of LA, which is very reasonable considering the fact that the highest crime rate in the US keeps fluctuating between Miami and LA.
They said I was just a troll and kept attacking me!!

You WILL find some very nice and helpful posts of mine in threads of people who'd never harassed me for absolutely no reason at all. on the other hand, you know what you'll also find, but that's only to people who had spoiled my threads for absolutely no reason.

and Mucky, harzer could be the sweetest most honest person on earth, but he also may not be. and since this letter is really one of the most important things in their lives right now, I said what I said.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:42 AM
ira

&gt;..truly bizarro posts by &quot;ralf005&quot;, &lt;

Amen, brother.

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Rex what are you talking about.
Delete these parts of threads...why?
I have no understanding where you are coming from, both threads are perfectly reasonable and the threat from the internet and how we approach liasons with Fodorites we don't know is very relevent.
Many others have stated they have met, interacted with good people, taking any information offered and making decisions based on own opinion.

What exactly is your problem?

Muck
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:54 AM

sorry about the funny spelling and grammer mistakes I made, I was typing really fast!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

WOW! - Sorry to have posted a thread that started another controversy!

Thanks Harzer for offering again to help with my letter. I can send it again, using my Hotmail account. Just look for it, as my screen name will appear in the address.

Ralf005, I understand your concern and gave it some thought. I researched Harzer's post, prior to responding to his offer, and felt comfortable that he would give me good advise. I believe I know enough German to tell if something inappropriate had been added to my letter. Also, I am leaving out personal information from my letter to Harzer, such as names and addresses, as those will not change in translation.

hsv - I am not comfortable posting my letter on this forum. It could end up a subject for debate, just as my original post has, and I am not up for that.

Rex - we have e-mailed each other before. Help me, I don't understand your desire to have Murky's response deleted. I think you and Murky are on the same &quot;side&quot; of this trust issue. What am I missing?

Terry

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Terry- may I suggest that you send your letter in English only. If you include an excellent German translation, your relatives might assume you speak excellent German and not make appropriate considerations for your visit. I am sure your relatives, if they don't speak English, will find someone to translate your letter and have them available for your visit. You might want to include a few German phrases in your letter to let them know you do speak a little German and are willing to give it a try. In any event enjoy your stay in Sauerland- a delightful mainly rural area with scenic rolling hills, forests and &quot;quaint&quot; villages.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Charlie B - I thought I would mention at the top of my letter that my German is limited and that I have had help with the translation. My English version of the letter will have more detail in it than the German version. I just wanted to make sure that the most important parts of the letter were in their native language so that they would understand who we are and when we would like to meet.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM
hsv

Terry,

I certainly see your point.
I currently only have an e-mail address which I use for my correspondence and I therefore rely on. Thus, I am a bit hesitant to post it here as I fear I might end up being spammed by sources unknown.

As you already have harzer's e-mail address, you should be in good hands anyway - from my judgement harzer has profound in-depth knowledge of Germany and appears to speak the language very well.

Enjoy your trip to Germany once the preliminary affairs are dealt with!
hsv
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:23 PM

I want to thank those of you who have come to my defence in respect to ralf005's insinuations.

I can only confirm (1) that I have been a member of this forum for some five or six years, my sole intention being to glean useful information for my own travels, and to provide what expertise I can to others seeking help and (2) that I am a professional translator for English - German - English, as well as several other languages, and as such employ a corresponding ethic when I undertake a contract.

I very much resent ralf005's post and hope that it can be removed by whatever authority is responsible for maintaining proper standards of conduct here.

Harzer
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Harzer - A heartfelt thank you for all your help! Please look for my reply sent to your e-mail. I am sorry that this thread took a negative turn. Please know that that is not how I feel.

Terry