Search

Rosetta Stone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rosetta Stone

Have any of your used Rosetta Stone to learn a language? How would you evaluate the program? Thank you!
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM

It is well-known certainly, but my undertanding is that it's somewhat expensive.

I have used the Instant Immersion programs, for both Italian and Spanish and they do a good job. I believe a 5-cd kit was about $20 from Target.

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM

I haven't used Rossetta Stone but I like the PC based programs. I bought a very affordable and hard to find program called "Learn to Speak" (German, French and Spanish). It comes with a workbook, several disks, and a microphone for your computer. It has voice recognition and will rate your accent as well as conduct rudimentary conversations (at the ticket booth, at the pharmacy, at the hotel, etc.). The chapters are logically laid out by subject beggining with vocabulary and ending with a conversation.

I didn't like instant immersion other than as an extra practice program.

There are many online courses that are free now, including one at BBC.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM

Hey I actually work for a company edufire that does online tutoring and free flash cards. I can set you up with a free lesson if you are interested.
Just trying to help.

Ehrin
www.edufire.com
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM

I have used Rosetta Stone and I was not really impressed with it. It is difficult to determine what exactly is in the picture that they are speaking (in the foreign language)about and there is no translation. I suppose it will teach but I am not sure if I understood much of what I was learning. I have also tried the Immersion which is not visual and think I learned faster with that.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM

I'm using Rosetta Stone right now and am very pleased with it. You learn the same way you learned to speak and read as a child--you are immersed in it. There is no English used, so you have to figure it out. It takes a little while to get used to, but what you learn stays with you. It is expensive, but effective.