German speakers, please help!

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German speakers, please help!

Hello,

I tried to make online reservations for Neuschwanstein the other day, but I don't think my reservation went through. Now I want to send an e-mail to ask if they received my reservation before I try booking again (because there is a fee for booking online). I don't speak any German but used an online translator to write an e-mail. Can you please tell me if this makes sense? Thanks!

Guten Tag,

Ich habe kürzlich vorbehalten die King's Ticket Online, aber ich bin nicht sicher, ob meine Reservierung ging durch. Ich habe noch nicht erhalten eine Bestätigungs-E-Mail. Können Sie bitte lassen Sie es mich wissen, wenn Sie meine Reservierung? Ich vorbehalten King's zwei Karten für 30 Dezember um 13:15.

Dankeschön,
[my name]

Again, thanks for any input!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:24 AM

The translation looks OK. But I would have written directly in English. There is certainly someone there who reads English, and speaks and writes it as well.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, spaarne. Ya know, I'm having trouble finding an e-mail on the Neuschwanstein site, so this question may be moot! I'm now thinking I probably just need to try to reserve again - and if I end up double-booked, I guess we'll just deal with it when we get there.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Hello,

Some changes:

Ich habe kürzlich "King's Tickets" online reserviert, aber ich bin nicht sicher, ob die Reservierung durchging. Ich habe noch keine Bestätigungs-E-Mail erhalten. Können Sie mich bitte wissen lassen, ob Sie meine Reservierung haben? Ich habe zwei Karten "King's" bestellt für den 30. Dezember um 13.15.

I'm not so sure about the King's...
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:35 AM

The translation is pretty botched.

You'd be better off calling - someone will speak English.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Another try

Ich habe vor einigen Tagen versucht, im Internet Karten für "Neuschwanstein" zu reservieren, bin aber nicht sicher, ob sie meine Reservierung erhalten haben.

Ich habe keine E-mail von Ihnen zur Bestätigung erhalten.

Bitte informieren Sie mich, ob Sie die Reservierung erhalten haben oder ich erneut übers Internet reservieren muss.

Die Karten wären für den 30.12.08 um 13:15 Uhr.

Vielen Dank für die Mühe!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Your Name...
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Google translates this to:

I've tried a few days ago, the Internet cards for "Neuschwanstein" book, but I am not sure whether they have received my reservation.

I have no e-mail you receive confirmation.

Please inform me whether you have received the reservation or over the Internet again, I must reserve.

The cards would impose 30.12.08 at 13:15 clock.

Thank you for the trouble!
Yours sincerely
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 07:00 AM

> haben oder ich erneut übers Internet
I forgot the "ob", my German must be lousy.

it's:
haben oder ob ich erneut übers Internet
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Don't be vague - kürzlich or recently doesn't cut it if they have to look it up. Give the exact date and time of day (in Germany) and any other details of exactly when and how you made the reservation - on what URL website page or to what email address.

Forget doing it in stumbling German, that's almost insulting, be precise and brief in English and give all the details they might need to track your reservation, and all the details they might need to contact you.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM

The problem with writing something like this in German, is that you will probably receive a response in German which you will not understand!

I agree that you should send your enquiry in English if, indeed, you decide to pursue this. I have sent emails to numerous hotels in Germany over the years in English and always receive a response in English as well. The grammar may not always be the best, but it is understandable.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My husband speaks not a word of German and he made our Neuschwanstein reservations. In fact, he goes boldly everywhere with only his English. Seems to have no problems anywhere from Russia to Spain and everywhere in between.

gruezi
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Gruezi, LOVE your description of your husband going "boldly" everywhere only with English. My husband is JUST the same. I swear he gets further with English, than I do speaking bits of the language. Go figure!
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Jaya,

Sounds like we're married to the same men. What's cute is he proudly thinks I can speak a little bit in lot of languages. I'm mangling everything I try of course

gruezi
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, everyone. I found the e-mail address and submitted my question in English.

Off to Germany in two days!!!