Scandinavia weather late May early June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm taking my mom and daughter on a cruise to Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Poland & Norway). We leave May 26th on the Princess line. Most of the time we'll be in the cities above from 7ish in the morning to 5ish in the afternoon. I have a bunch of guide books and they say the normal "high" for this time is 51 degrees. OK, I'm from Arizona and that's colder than our winters... ha ha... have you been to any of these cities around this time period and what did you wear? Winter coat, heavy jacket, jeans, sweatshirts, t shirts???

Thanks for any help,,,
GirlScoutMom
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM

I was in St. P. in late May and while the sun was out and the sky was blue on the days when it didn't rain, the temps were bitterly cold, 40 during the day tops on some sunny days, and strong biting winds anywhere near the water.

I wore a t-shirt, a flannel shirt, a thin and a thick sweater and a non-lined windcheater jacket, and flannel-lined winterized jeans but I was not warm on the canalboats!

Summer doesn't begin til late June, so you are in nordic countries at the end of winter - only cold temps make sense, a warm spell would be the exception, and Arizona temps - forget it!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM

You want layers, not heavy winter coats. That way you can do more or less based on the temps at various times - and can take off one or more outer layers when you go inside.

I've been in Stockholm in mid August - and the weather was - for me - perfect summer. Highs in the low 70's and cooler at night.

It VERY rarely gets much warmer than that.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I should be fine but my mom better start stocking up on long underwear...

Thanks.