Charleston-rain or shine in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi y'all - what can a frozen Canadian gal expect in mid-February in Charleston? Rain? Humidity? Averages say approx. 59F.
Should I bring shorts and sundresses? Can I leave my parka and tuque at home?
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Better pack for most anything. It could be 75 and sunny or rainy and in the 30s. It'll probably be somewhere in between, but there's no telling. Even snow, though rare, isn't out of the question. The great thing about Carolina winters is that you're liable to have a summer-like day at any time, but unfortunately, you can't count on it.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:29 AM

Range between daily high and low temp is greater than in many places in Feb. During daylight hours it is likely to be 65-70 or so, but in the evening it is likely to go down to 40. That said, first 2 weeks of January in Savannah (about 45 minutes away), daily highs were near 80. So leave the parka home, but bring some clothes you can layer. The sundress might be alittle optimistic.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:04 AM

Louanne - you will love it no matter what but you can get a bit of everything as the other post-ers have indicated. Not usually humid that time of year - unless you count rain. But can be breezy and chilly - I think 50's is a safe bet though it could be warmer. I think it may be a bit premature for shorts/sundresses but definitely layer and be prepared to shed. Have a great time!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:29 AM
GoTravel

The water temperatures of the Atlantic ocean will keep it balmy. Expect mid 60s during the day and you may luck out and get some 70s. Temps will probably drop into the mid 50s at night.

Because of the humidity, it still feels balmy outside.

The only time it gets down into the 30s is when we have a cold snap and that is usually at night.

We've also had some very warm weather in February. A couple of years ago it got warm the begining of February, my Azaleas bloomed, turned on the AC, then didn't turn it off until November.

Bring a jacket, watch the weather channel, leave the parka at home.

PS. If its warm, we locals will be wearing shorts. We don't really have summer clothes and winter clothes.