Most Suitable Clothing

Mar 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Most Suitable Clothing

We are doing trip including the Scandanavian capitals and St. Petersburg, leaving from Canada June 8th and returning June 28. Starting in Copenhagen with overnight ferry rides to Oslo and also a ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki. We also are taking a boat trip from Flam to Bergen. So......what should we take for clothing considering weather at that time of year? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 13th, 2016, 01:33 PM

We did a similar cruise about 6 years ago also in mid-June. It will stay light out till almost midnight which is much fun. The summer we went was extremely HOT, like mid-90s, throughout the 12-day cruise. I brought and wore extremely lightweight slip-on Merrells for walking in a light silver, I did not pack walking sandals but wish I had. I remember stopping in a shop in Amsterdam to buy a pair of socks as whatever shoes I was wearing were causing blisters. Several cities' restaurants were not air-conditioned, so we always opted to lunch outside under an umbrella. Never had enough ice in our drinks! I remember a tour luncheon in St. P where it was so hot in the second-floor room because it was not air-conditioned, then they started passing out the vodka! In Stockholm we walked to the Ice Bar in the ?? Hotel, which was very refreshing and cool! We had to pack some dressy wear for evenings onboard, I travel only with thin-weight layers that weigh nothing and do not wrinkle (e.g., stretchy lace separates). I also brought thin silk separates, cashmere pashmina in bright shade. Navy cropped pants with flared jacket set (under which I could layer but didn't need to). I always travel with a thin Merino wool cardigan. Be sure to pack hat/visor for sun protection. Probably brought hooded windbreaker, not a trench coat, but never wore windbreaker. See how the temps are running in the area from now thru May and figure it'll continue but be even bit warmer.
Mar 13th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much.....always wise to layer! You were lucky with the weather, my fear is we will be cold, thus my request.
Mar 13th, 2016, 04:45 PM

The weather that time of year should be very pleasant - not too chilly and usually not hot.

Have been to Scandinavia several times (and St Pet twice - which has the highest risk of cold) and didn't need more than a light jacket. Bring a cotton sweater so you can layer if it's chilly at night. But during the day I never needed more than a tee (long sleeve a couple of days).
Mar 14th, 2016, 10:10 AM

Weather in Scandinavia in June is very unpredictable and can change quickly. In Stockholm, temperatures range from 40F to 80F. It can be warm and sunny in the morning and heavy showers in the afternoon.

Statistics from the last five summers (Stockholm in June 2011 - 2015):
Highest recorded: 81F June 29 2011
Lowest recorded: 40F June 2 2012

In 2014 the highest recorded temperature was 80F on June 11 and the lowest recorded was 43F on June 26. In 2014 the beginning of June was substantially warmer than the end.

Since 1901, highest recorded temperature ever in June is 90F (in 1968) and lowest recorded ever is 34F (in 1941).

Days when the highest temperature doesn't reach 60F is not unusual.

So yes, layer is the answer as you can never know what to expect. And don't forget to pack your umbrella. And your sun glasses.

Have a nice trip!
Apr 27th, 2016, 07:25 AM

I live in Stockholm and I would definitely recommend some light cashmere, a light down jacket and a cotton or cashmere scarf. I need 23-25 degrees not to freeze and in Stockholm you are (very?) lucky if you get 20 degrees during the day in June. At night it is almost always very chilly but restaurants will have heating outside. We always leave Sweden during midsummer because more often than not the weather will be bad.