Search

Sardinia

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sardinia

We are going to Italy for our honeymoon in Ocotber and would like to spend some in Sardinia. Any thoughts on how much time we should spend there and what part of the island we should stay on.

THANK YOU!
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:41 PM
RAR

The answer to "how much time" is always "as long as possible" You could probably spend an couple months in Sardinia before you start revisiting places.

Cagliari, Alghero, Costa Smeralda. La Maddelena are where the majority of tourists go. The rest of the island lacks in tourist infastructure, but don't let that deter you from zooming around the island in your rental car. I highly recommend seeing some of the interior.

In October it will still be warm enough to swim, especially on the southern beaches. Cagliari should stay warm until November. If coming from the mainland you'll likely end up flying into Cagliari or Alghero, or ferrying into Olbia (Costa Smeralda).
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! We are considering the Hotel Villa Las Tronas in Alghero, but you make a good point concerning the southern beaches. We'll looking into that area. Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:47 PM
RAR

I saw you don't like cities. Cagliari is a city of about 300,000 people (if you include the suburbs). So you might want to cross that off your list.
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We stayed in Santa Margherita last summer and loved it -- that would be the ideal size, however, I'm finding there's not many towns that size in this area that also have enough things to occupy you...

Thanks again!
Old May 8th, 2004, 02:04 PM
RAR

Well most people go to Sardinia to get occupied by the beach There are several historical sites dotted around the island, but you have to drive to them. Since you stayed in the south lsat time I'd see the north. Especially since you're going in October when the tourists have gone (the north is usually packed in the summer, so October is perfect time to head there).

Alghero would probably fit your interests. It's a medium sized town with an old quarter, some nice grottos are nearby (Capo Caccia), and Castelsardo and Bosa are both close enough to see as daytrips.

Porto Cervo and Palau are also nice destinations. Very ritzy area though. It's where the creme of Italian society goes in the summertime. La Maddelena is well liked by most people, I didn't get a chance to go there but one day I will. Supposed to be gorgeous the islands up there, and there is of course Mussolini's pad to see.