Maddelina Island (Sardinia)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cruise ship stops in Olbia and I'm trying to decide whether to do the excursion to Costa Smeralda or to the Island. I'd appreciate feedback from others who know the area. Which would be more interesting? more handsome scenery? (I'm not interested in shopping or in sitting on a beach) Thanks for suggestions.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd also like a bit of info from anyone who has visited the area. From what I've read in my trip research so far (we are not doing a cruise, we'll fly in and out), Costa Smeralda is full of the idle rich which doesn't interest us at all. Not sure what is on Maddalena Island except for beaches but this will top the thread so someone else might reply.
Kay
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Hi Poss & Kay

Try searching Sardinia in this forum there are around 4 or 5 of us have visited many times. The two areas are similar in terms of seascapes but very different destinations. The north side of the island is pretty much about beaches and stunning coastlines. I have seen most of southern Europe and Sardinia has some of the most stunning and unspoilt coasts around. The very strict planning regulations have left most areas very well designed with no high rise developments.

The Costa Smerelda is full of the idle ultra rich for August each year. For the rest of the year it is fairly quiet and stunning. June and September are good months.

We actually prefer the Maddalena islands and usually use Santa Teresa (Sardinian mainland) as a base. It has a lovely homely feel, people are generally very warm and there is a choice of good restaurants. You have easy day trips to the islands and to Corsica.

Do not worry about hiring cars - the Sardinians are amongst the few Italians to have actually passed a driving test.

Kay let me know you budget I can give you a long list of suggested hotels/villas at any level.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM

We used to go into Maddelina port for supplies when cruising in the Med. from Puerto Chervo to the Lavezzi Islands. The water in the secluded coves on those islands are simply wonderful! The port of Maddelina wasn't so much then; mostly supported by the U.S. nuclear submarine tender base on nearby San Stefano Island. Don't know what the tourist trade has done to the islands recently.

BTW, we used to enjoy putt putting up to the nuclear subs that were in the harbor at San Stefano. We would get glares from the guards on deck if we came too close to the floating boom around the hull, but no real trouble. Bet you couldn't so that today!

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:32 AM

Thanks Mark and sorry Poss, I know this is your thread but hopefully this will be useful to others as well. We were initally thinking of flying in and out of Alghero but are now thinking of flying into Olbia and out of Alghero. We would have about 7 nights and don't want move about too much, maybe stay in two different places. We want to explore a fair bit, just in the north of the island, and are not the type to sit on a beach. A day trip to Corsica to see Bonifacio would be wonderful. Budget is usually around 80 - 100 euro a night but less would be good.

Kay
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to responders-- and Kay, I'm glad you're getting help as well.
Being in places as a cruiser on one's own boat is so very different from being on a cruise ship. (We did the former for many years; now in our late 70's are doing just the latter-- both have their pleasures.) If we were on our own boat, we'd love just hanging out in beautiful coves, reading, swimming, etc. I just keep wondering what there is to "do" in this area as a tourist. Places that are full of the rich and famous don't have appeal to me for that reason, but on the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily avoid such places merely because that's the main ambience. If the place is gorgeous and interesting (as such gathering places often are), I don't mind sharing them with the elite. From what I'm gathering, there's nothing of special historical or architectural interest to see in the area-- one just imbibes the beauty of the scene. The port stop is mid-July, so it'll be plenty hot I imagine. Perhaps it'll become some sort of beach day after all, though that's not what we prefer to do on these sorts of vacations. Will the scenery be as spectacular as Capri, I'm wondering, or some of those wonderful towns on the Amalfi coast? In short, I suspect that Olbia will not be our favorite stop on this cruise, but perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised. There's got to be a reason why people who have money to go anywhere go here.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM

To markrosy -

Any ideas for where to stay in Santa Teresa or Alghero would be helpful. I've looked at Trip Advisor but not much stands out. We will probably have 4 nights in each place. We're not after anything fancy - a comfy bed, a decent shower and somewhere to park.

Thanks for any help.
Kay