Costa Rica beginner surfing and nice beaches

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was looking on transworldsurf.com and trying to find both a beautiful beach destination (more for the fiance) and a place with hopefully a beginner friendly break that I can play on. We are looking at Tamarindo, Dominical, and outside CR at Zihuatanejo, Rincon, PR, and a bit open to ideas, but latin america and mex is definitely more in our price range, considering Hawaii, but thinking that may be too many tourists for our liking. Anyone have some direction for this trip in Late April?
Much appreciated
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM

You may want to look into the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area of Costa Rica. Am going there for the first time in May but I do know it's a big surfer spot. Relatively easy to get to and prices for hotels are pretty decent.

Here are some links with info about the area: http://www.malpais.net/ and http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/malpais/

How long were you looking at traveling for?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Just saw this, as it has slipped down the board a ways. Jaco is supposed to have good surfing. When I was there last August it had nice waves, and great black sandy beaches. I've heard of people running into trouble there, but I never had any problems. Had a great time.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 03:22 AM

Samara is a beginning beach, a little quieter, less touristy than some of the other Guanacaste beaches. Nice beach good swimming and a wide range of hotel types/prices.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM

Dominical is not for you if you are a beginner! Malpais and Jaco are good locations for people that start to surf.
The times I was in Samara there were no waves at all. I saw a surf school in town and was wondering where you could surf there.