costa rica vs other places

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a silly question: this is our first time looking at Caribbean/Central America. I just can't decide where to go. From this forum, I narrowed it down to a few choices: St John Caneel Bay (St Croix Buccaneer?) and Costa Rica (the latter because it looks like you can combine a lot of active sighseeing and beach time). It seems that everybody loves Costa Rica - so why is it cheaper than other places in this region?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to say we were looking at this August. Does this enter into the equation?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Hi Olga,

I just got back from a three-week honeymoon in Costa Rica. I've never been to the Caribbean, mostly because I don't consider myself a beach person (though I've visited some spectacular beaches in my travels).

My husband enjoys the beach, I enjoy trekking in mountains and visiting local towns and villages. So, our trip was almost equally divided between beaches and other.

We both loved Costa Rica, but certainly not for its beaches. We stayed near Tambor Beach (on the Nicoya peninsula) and in Manuel Antonio. People may write in to say we missed the really great beaches of CR, but I still don't believe the best beaches can compare with, say, the average beach on Santorini or in Tel Aviv. Even little ol' Palm Beach in Florida is cleaner, has smaller waves and less undertoe and better cheaper restaurants along the way. From my understanding, the beaches of CR don't come close to rivalling their Caribbean neighbours to the north (can't say, never been).

If your intentions are to have an adventurous and sight-filled holiday (and so much of CR is such delicious eye candy), supplemented by some days on a beach, then I say go for it.

But if you are looking for fabulous beaches and luxurious beach resorts where you truly feel like you are getting every bang for your buck (and CR definitely is not cheap), then I would have to recommend you give CR a pass.

The level of customer service and so-called luxury in CR hasn't quite reached the standards set by so many North American hotels. On the other hand, the scenery is marvelous and the average tico on the street is totally delightful. For an honest, earnest experience, head straight to CR.

Good luck with your decision!

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! That is very good advice. We (2 older teenage daughters and my husband) have actually never had a beach vacation but always did a lot of sightseeing, mostly in Europe, staying in one place no more than 2-3 days. This year we decided to try and have a restful vacation, for a change. I am worried about arriving some place and finding it boring and cheesy.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Have been to Costa Rica a few times and also the caribbean . I would say Costa Rica is a bit more of an adventure , exotic , lush , jungles , tons to see . The beaches around manuel Antonio are beautiful , with some nice hotels to choose from . The caribbean is also wonderful and of course incredibly diverse in its choice of islands . In Costa Rica you can do jungle canopy tours , volcanos , rainforests , cloudforests , tremendous wildlife , a true adventure , so much to see ! Faith
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Hi,
I have also been to both.
I like St. Johns, especially getting to the far side of the island for snorkeling.
But it is mostly a swimming holiday.
CR is much more diverse. Swimming/hiking/villages/volcanos..etc.
Both are good---depends on your mood.
Cheers,
pete