Sandals for Spain??

Search

Sandals for Spain??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandals for Spain??

I am wondering if wearing sandals would be appropriate for touring the highlight spots in Madrid, Cordoba, Toledo, Granada, and Seville. We will be visiting in late May to mid-June and the weather will be hot. I don't do shorts but would like to wear capri pants and sandals would look better than any other type of shoe. My sandals are comfortable enough but I've never tried wearing them as a tourist. What do you ladies think?

The clothing/shoe issue is also challenged by the fact that we will be flying from Seville to Dublin, Ireland, where the weather is obviously very different. Long pants and heavier shoes will be needed there. I'm afraid that one carry-on suitcase might not work. Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes of course sandals, why not? I buy fairly sturdy ones [my current ones are moshulu] and they are very comfortable for sight-seeing. just the thing for seville or madrid.

you need to make sure that they aren't going to be too tight [feet tend a swell a little in warmer temperatures] and I like to take a change of shoes for when it rains or evenings, which you could wear on the plane.

don't be too sure that the weather in Ireland in May is going to be THAT different from spin - it might be, but then, it might not!

I'd reckon on being able to get away with two pairs - the shoes and the sandals - if you want to travel light.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Of course, sandals. Pack them and wear shoes on the flight. Planes can get cold and shoes and socks will help keep your feet warm.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM

If it's a long flight, I wear my sandals with socks. If my feet swell after a long flight, the sandals, which have velcro'ed straps, can be adjusted.

Look for walking sandals. They need to be sturdy and support your feet over rough surfaces.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 02:29 AM

Look for walking sandals. They need to be sturdy and support your feet over rough surfaces.>>

ditto the velcro idea - the ones I have have velcro fastenings over the toes and round the ankle so you can adjust them to get a perfect fit.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM

You can always tell tourists: they always wear sandals, even in the bleak midwinter. Sometimes even with socks...;-)
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM

You can always tell tourists: they always wear sandals, even in the bleak midwinter. Sometimes even with socks...>>

and you can always tell the locals - they're the ones wearing their fur coats in July!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM

I remember worrying about what kinds of shoes to wear when I was planning for my first European trip. It took about a day and a half to realize that the only thing that mattered was if my feet were comfortable. Wear what you think will feel best and don't worry about fashion.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 09:01 AM

"and you can always tell the locals - they're the ones wearing their fur coats in July!"
That's me, you got me. My wife is just the opposite. A serious problem in the bedroom...

Clarita, you are right, comfort is what matters.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM

"and you can always tell the locals - they're the ones wearing their fur coats in July!"
That's me, you got me. My wife is just the opposite. A serious problem in the bedroom...>>

thanks for the image, josele - no chance of getting cold feet in your house, anyway!