good walking/fashionable shoes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally acquiesced to the idea that I probably won't be wearing my nikes in paris. However, I have no real idea of what to replace them with to wear with cropped pants and capris - teva, birkenstock,? etc. for a lot of walking. I am a tourist - and have no big problem being identified as such. any ideas??
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 06:22 PM

wear your nikes!!!!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Just a half day walking in Teva's, which I love, gave me a blister on the bottom of my big toe yesterday. Sandals, sweat and no socks are not a great combo for serious walking, imho. Nor are sandals the greatest for big city walking. It's too filthy and there are too many people who might step on my toes!

I'm with rhkkmk. Go with the Nikes, with ankle socks. And pack the bandaids, just in case.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Pardon moi! Didn't mean ankle socks. Meant the footies that don't show above the shoe.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 07:16 PM

I highly recommend Lola sandals by Munro. They are a dream to wear (cushiony bottoms, nothing rubs or irritates anywhere at all) and they look nice too. Come in lots of colors. Not cheap, but worth every penny for the looks and comfort. You can see them at Nordstrom.com. Got mine locally for quite a bit less.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 10:01 PM

Depends on how much walking you want to do.

If not too much, then the Nikes will do.

If a lot and over cobblestones, then recommend you get some walking shoes. Mine were Merrell slipons with no laces and they were WONDERFUL! Wore regular socks with them, or the ankle socks.

Shoes are very individualized. I would recommend that you go to a REI or like store where they will let you wear the shoes and walk around without the salespeople pestering you.You should walk and walk and walk around the store. REI will even let you take shoes home and let you wear them around the house for a day - as long as you bring them back clean!

Happy hoofing!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:35 PM

Birkenstocks or Danskos are what I'm taking, but I figure Birkenstocks will be worn more. I plan to get a few pair when I visit Germany next week.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 11:49 PM

I bought some Ecco and Stonefly shoes in Vancouver, B.C., and they are fabulous for walking. They're also the most expensive shoes I'd ever bought. The Eccos require socks--they're a Mary Jane style--but no breaking in at all. They fit your feet as if they were made for you.
The Stonefly shoes are like a man's oxford, but are sleek black leather instead of bright white, like Nikes. They have a pump inside that cools your feet. I'm taking both pairs to Europe with me. Both brands are for sale on the Internet, but I'd shop the Mall and try shoes on first. The first time I went to France, I wore turquoise Nikes. People stared, and one woman cleaned out her closet of pretty shoes and lent me some pairs. Shoes are so beautiful in France. I was amazed to see women walking in high-heeled sandals in a driving sleet storm in January. Also I noticed that no one's heels ever seem to be scuffed. Nikes are comfortable, but I feel like a pariah in them in France. I won't be bringing mine.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:26 AM

maryliza - French (and Sanish and Italian) women know how to walk in heels, unlike most American women.

As far as good walking shoes go - it depends on you and your feet. I usually go around in Clark's sandals. Ecco also has good and stylish walking shoes.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 02:46 AM

I searched high and low for something that was my style before going to Italy. I ended up with a pair of very cushiony, fashionable Clark's sandals from Macy's and they worked out perfectly.

Whatever you decide, be sure to break them in a few weeks before the trip. I was certainly glad I did.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 02:52 AM

I bought the Land's end all weather moc and they are very comfortable. The one thing to remember is to break them before you leave!you can go to the lands end web site or the shoe department at Sears they now carrie the Land's end lots of colors and the price is great
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:15 AM

Just a fashion up date: my daughter, who's 30 years old, and is a very elegant and sophisticated young lady, lived and worked in Paris for a year. She's back home, and in her luggage there were four pairs of tennis shoes, one made in black lace, another made in yellow, printed, silk, another in black/golden silk, another in leather, light blue with brown strips. She told me these shoes are the "dernier cri". and she paid from 30 to 90 Euro for each of them.So, don't worry, wear your tennis shoes, or buy a fashionable pair in Paris.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:27 AM

Just one more thing: my daughter says the prettiest tennis shoes ( and also extremely comfortable for walking) are Adidas, Gola and Le Coq Sportif brands.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:30 AM

I love my Arche shoes. Very very comfortable for walking - even the sandals with a little heel - and attractive. (And they are made in France.) Birkenstocks are big this year too, especially the colorful flip-flop variety.

Sneakers are still all the rage over Europe and the US, as the previous poster confirmed. I go to the Puma store here in NYC and it is MOBBED with Europeans. My pumas (definitely not black lace!) are very fashionable and comfortable.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:36 AM

Sneakers are fine. Just don't wear those bright white nikes with sports socks. The women wearing high heels don't do so for sightseeing either; for work, lunch, shopping perhaps, but not for walking on all day. For a really smart sort of sneaker, try to find Hogan. They're owned by Tod's and come in lots of colours and styles.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:22 AM

Camper and Dr Martens are two European brands that are excellent -- they are both fashionable and extremely supportive for walking. You'll find them at shoe stores and department stores everyehwre in Paris. (Though the best shop for Camper is the one at the foot of rue du cherche-midi, near St Sulpice metro stop in the 6th.)
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 12:36 PM

I was in Paris a few years ago. I brought three pairs of shoes: a nice pair of black shoes to wear for going out at night, a pair of loafers for sightseeing during the day, and just in case, a pair of Nike's. Let's just say that after the first two days of walking 10 hours a day, the loafers never saw the outside of my suitcase again. I just didn't see the point of suffering. My tennis shoes were just so much more comfortable, and my feet were so much more happy. Granted, they were darker tennis shoes, and otherwise I was dressed nicely. I just found that if I was going to be walking around so much, and wanted to see everything I came to see, I wanted to be comfortable.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:59 PM
TC

I just read in one of the style magazines that the thing to do is wear a pair of RED sneakers (tennis shoes). Red is a very hot color right now and they do look a lot cooler (hipper) than the standard white ones. All the stores are filled with stylish walking shoes. One thing to keep in mind - your feet may swell from the long flight. Mine increase one whole size - so shoes that fit great at home may hurt like h... when in Paris. Purchase accordingly.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:41 PM

I prefer to wear Joseph Siebel shoes year round. They have great sandles for summer and more approp. shoes for the winter months. I agree however that whatever you take with you while traveling - you should wear as much as possible at home before your trip.
I also like to take at least 2 pairs of shoes for daily wear and rotate them. Somehow it rest my foot more to wear different shoes every other day.
I also like to travel with shoes that don't lock me in to a look - like tennis shoes do. A really comfortable sandle can go from a very sporty event to dinner out.