Shoes or sandals on plane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We picked relatives up lately at the airport who mentioned they chose sandals for the flight to facilitate the shoe screening procedure. I flashed back to a flight from Australia when my seatmate kept his bare and not exactly pristine feet too close to me for comfort and wondered what other seasoned travellers do. Also, there's a safety issue -- if there is an emergency of any kind, I'd like to be well shod with easily retained shoes! For the record, my shoes of choice are very well made black Mephisto slip ons, worn with a thin knee sock.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:52 AM

It's a personal choice as to what type of shoes to wear on the plane. You should have told your obnoxious seatmate to keep his feet in his space. It's like the man whose head kept dropping onto my shoulder when he fell asleep. No way was I going to prop up his head for 10.5 hours.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Really? The screening procedures are exactly why I would never wear sandals to fly - I always wear a shoe that require socks, no matter the weather. Now that I'm guaranteed to have to take my shoes off, wearing socks is the only way to avoid walking around in my bare feet where hundreds of other people do - yuck.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:55 AM

I'm tired of folks who think a flight is equivalent to a day at the beach. Keep the sandals, flip flops and bedroom slippers in your bag. For my family and me, we only wear tie-on shoes--sneakers or leather and it's for safety. IF we had to evacuate after a rough landing or worse, passengers in slip ons and sandals would likely be knocked out of their shoes. Tie on shoes are more likely to still be on your feet.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:56 AM

The one 'medical' reason for wearing sandals might be the fact that at high altitudes your feet swell, so sandals might be more accomodating to this.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Sandals are easier for the screening process. I've seen many women (and men) wearing sandals at the airports especially during summertime. If you choose to wear shoes and socks why is it so difficult to accept others who wear sandals? If there's an emergency take care of yourself and your family.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:06 AM

The only time I wear socks in the summer is at the gym. Flip flops all the way! And I usually never have to take off my shoes at security during domestic flights.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Hmm, I always wear my tennis shoes on the plane since they would take up more space in my suitcase than other shoes.

Also, with the new screenings, I definitely don't want to be walking on the gross airport floor in bare feet! Yuck.

I never thought of the safety issue, but good point. Slipons or sandels would not be good in that situation.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
lizzie- have you flown lately? it's all shoes off for everybody these days (in my experience).

I have one pair of Ecco sandals I often wear on the plane (with very lightweight footie socks) because the straps have velcro, so on long flight when you feet swell, I can loosen the straps but still keep my "shoes on" so to speak.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Good point RandyK. I always wear my tie on shoes, hiking boots or shoes b/c they are the heaviest shoe. I wouldn't take sandals on vacation since I hate getting my feet dirty. I only wear them when I know I'll be walking around fairly clean places, indoors.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I don't have a problem with people who want to fly in sandals - although if you tend to have smelly feet I hope consideration would lead you to cover them. I used to wear sandals and bring socks with me - my tootsies got cold on long trips - but the first time I had to slip of all rubber, no metal sandals at security anyway, my habits changed. Yes, everyone has to take off their shoes everytime now. And it's shoes with socks for me. Not having to pack the bulky pair and being able to run to my next gate if needed is an added bonus.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I generally wear my tennis shoes so that they don't take up space in my luggage and if I need to run through the airport, train station, and so on, then I have the right shoes on for that. The evacuation/crash landing scenario gives good reason for wearing sturdy shoes. I bring an extra pair of socks so that after taking my shoes off for security and/or on the plane, I can put on a fresh pair.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM

I have worn flipflops when flying to S CA in warm weather (warm here and warm there). The SF Chronical had an article about a month ago about all the bacteria on the airport floors. The suggestion was made to go to a medical supply store and buy their disposable paper booties and wear those through security (evidently that is acceptable). I think they said 6 pairs cost around $10.00.

Other then that I tend to wear loafers with socks of course. They are easy to get on and off and mine work well even on long flights. In the future I will put those stupid paper booties on over my socks as the SF Chronical reported that even socks do not prevent your feet from picking up bacteria. Gads, doesn't one feel glamerous when in an airport, lol.

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM

I don't really understand how sandals makes the screening process easier in comparison to any other shoe that you just slip off, rather than tie. I just don't understand why.

I don't wear sandals, even though I see many who do, just because I am afraid I may hurt my feet in such an environment (lugging baggage, people in line, unfamiliar places, etc.). I had a very painful broken toe once when a horse stepped on it, and that took weeks to heal, but the entire nailbed turned black and the toenail fell off. Now that's just an extreme situation, but I figure why risk it.

I just wear a pair of mules that can easily be slipped off in line or on the plane. Why would sandals be any easier? I do wear those ankle-high short socks with them because I don't want to be barefoot on those floors.

I had a woman next to me on a flight in August who only had sandals, and her feet smelled and it was disgusting, especially since she didn't keep them on the floor. Luckily, it was only about a 90 minute flight.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:07 PM

If the flight is only an hour or so, I don't have a problem with what other people wear. However, on long flights I would expect "sensible attire" - shoes, no shorts or tee shirts if only to show respect to others. In truth though, most people could less about other passengers. It a sign of the times. Oh, yes I am an old guy, use to tie and jackets, neat and clean, quiet and considerate - yearn for the old days of caring, helpful fellow travelers.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I wore my regular slip-on ecco shoes with thin socks, but brought a pair of thick "tennis sox" to slip on before I went through security....I didn't like the idea of walking with my thin socks where who knows who/what has walked before me. I threw the sox away after security.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Tank tops on male passengers..ugh..disgusting! Now that is another subject, lol. There ought to be a law.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I find that if I wear my thin flip flops, I rarely have to take them off. I like to wear sandals in the summer, I have nicely pedicured feet, and honestly, I wouldn't wear mules with or without socks. To each his own! It has nothing to do with it being easier to get through security. I'm just shallow and like to wear cute footwear.

In the winter, it's a totally different story. If I'm going out straight from my flight, I'll have on heels. If not, Pumas.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM

I prefer to have closed-toe shoes on all kinds of transportation, from buses at home to airplanes to trains.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM

In the heat of the summer I wear sandals or slides. My feet are usually quite clean and no one has complained about them so far.
This trip coming up, I am wearing ballet flats, they are easy to put on and off and will be comfortable on a 300 hour flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -