Salzburg , Austria or Rottenburg, Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your opinion? We have 2 extra days and have never been to Austria or Germany before. Should we spend the time in Salzburg or Rottenburg? We are not museum people, but like people, cultures, local color and traditions. Thank you!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM
JN

I've only been to Salzburg, so you're getting a biased view. But it is one of our two favorite places in western europe. It is just beautiful, the people are friendly and the food is great. It has been called the Rome of the North for good reason. Each trip we make our way there, even though we've visited a half dozen times.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I think it may help if we knew the rest of your itinerary. I've been to both and really enjoyed each one, but they are very different.

Salzburg is obviously more of a city, although a small one. Its a beautiful city in a spectacular setting. The castle is definitely worth a visit, and just strolling the city is great fun.

Rothenburg is charming in its own right. Very touristy, but with good reason. The town is also very small and you could easily see it in a day/night.

I think its probably a toss-up. While I liked both, I would probably go with Salzburg because there is more to do and the mountains that surround it are just gorgeous.

Tracy
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I have been to both places. Loved Rothenburg, a great medieval town. It almost seems Disneyesque, fairytale, like it's too perfect.

Now, Salzburg - I fell in love with. Loved the surrounding Lake areas. Loved the history. It evoked so many feelings, I was surprised.

We had planned to go to Rothenburg and stayed there a couple of days. Salzburg was added on the spur of the moment and we only had one night there. So I guess our choice was Rothenburg in the beginning. It was only later, when we saw Salzburg, that I thought I'd rather have spent more time there.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Between those two, definitely Salzburg.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:40 AM

I suppose you mean Rothenburg ob der Tauber, not Rottenburg (which is quite a charming town but not actually a five-star sight, situated South of Stuttgart). Attention, there are several towns with similar names in Germany.

Depends what else you are doing and seeing during your trip. If it consists mostly of cities, I'd suggest Rothenburg, to have some small-town-feeling for a change. If you are travelling around or staying in the countryside most of the time, a larger place like Salzburg would be nice.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:06 AM

If you really want a small town feeling, I don't think Rothenburg od Tauber is the right place (though it is a matter of personal likes/dislikes). The old town of Rothenburg is small, but it's not a real town any more.

If you do want a small town feeling then something like Bad Wimpfen, or Dinkelsbuehl, or (a bit larger, but still not a big city) Bamberg would be nice. These places get enough tourists to have a good tourism infrastructure, but they are not dedicated tourist enclaves.

What time of the year are you traveling? That can make a difference.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:33 AM

Been to both - loved both....but I would vote for Salzburg.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Been to both, loved em both. If your going in peak season then I'd opt for Salzbug for sure. If you're traveling in shoulder or the off season I think I'd go with Rothenburg. It is magical without the glut of tourists.

Cheers, the turnip

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM

Not to change subject- have been to both and like them both. Have recently been to Regensburg and Passeau and found the "olde city" in each very authentic and worth a visit? Have a nice trip.