Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Extra day in Germany, where should I spend it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Germany for 14 days from 10/8-10-21, flying into FRA and picking up a car at the airport.
This what we have planned so far: 2 days Rothenburg, 3 days in the Fussen area, 2 days in Berchtesgaden, 2 days in Salzburg, 3 days in Munich (not including the day we leave).
We have one extra day and I'm not sure where to add it, so I thought I would ask for your thoughts.
I have been reading these posts for several months and they have been very helpful in planning this trip.
Thanks for your help,
Laura
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:35 AM

My vote is for Berchtesgaden. The area is just gorgeous with the mountains, lakes and green hillsides.

Since Berchtesgaden is 20 mins from Salzburg, I would stay 3 days there, take in Salzburg and then drive to Lake Constance and explore the area with the other 2 days.

Gail
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:42 AM

My vote would be to spend an extra day in Salzburg to allow for the possiblility of a daytrip to the Salzkammergut. Hallstatt is not to be missed!

However, if this were my itinerary I would use Berchtesgaden as my base for exploring Salzburg and the surrounding area and spend 5 days there. Berchtesgaden is about 20 minutes away from Salzburg, so it seems almost a little silly to break up the nights. We spent a week in Berchtesgaden last year and had a wonderful time. We visited Salzburg, the Salzkammergut, and the towns around Berchtesgaden. The area truly is spectacular, with beautiful scenery everywhere you look and lots of quiaint towns and villages. You certainly wouldn't run out of things to do.

Tracy
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:50 AM
DAX

I second Salzburg for visiting Salzkammergut. That area beats Berchtesgaden anyday. Just buy a regional train pass to get to Hallstatt, it's the best way to arrive as you get to view it from the lakeside.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:56 AM

To each their own; I preferred the Berchtesgadenland region over Salzkammergut, but honestly you can't go wrong either way! But are stunningly beautiful and more than worthwhile.

Tracy
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:02 AM

I would add the day to Munich.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:21 AM

Right between Berchtesgaden and Munich you will find Prien am Chiemsee. Salzkammergut is my favorite region of all, but with only one day, including travel time, I would stay in Upper Bavaria and visit Prien am Chiemsee,the island castle, etc. That is much more relaxing.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:26 AM

I would add the day to Munich. We absolutely loved that city and even with our 4 days, we wished we had more time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:41 AM

I would be tempted to leave that extra open. Germany is so beautiful that surely you will find some places where you would love to spend extra time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank You everyone, alot of good information to think over.
Laura