Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Marriage Proposal In Austria - Salzburg/Hallstatt

Feb 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi There,

Long time reader, first time poster. I plan on proposing to my girlfriend next month (March)when we are in Austria. The cities we will be in are Salzburg and Hallstatt. Anyone have any suggestions about areas to do so? I have been thinking about atop one of the large hills in Salzburg or overlooking the city of Hallstatt. Any ideas are welcome!!

Also, do you think carrying the ring through customs/security will raise and problems? I plan on putting it in my coat which will go through the x-ray machine, so hopefully the workers won't say anything.

Thanks Again!
Feb 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Congratulations, traveler777.

Can't comment on Hallstatt, but Salzburg has some lovely spots. The Mirabell Gardens are beautiful, although March might be a little early for any blooms.

If you go to Fortress Hohensalzburg, there is an observation tower you can climb up (about 100 steps) for a wonderful view of Salzburg and the surrounding area, including Germany.

Those are the two places that come to my mind at this time. Enjoy yourselves. Peace. >-

Robyn
Feb 11th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Go for Salzburg and the Sound of Music gazebo "16 going on 17". You'll have a lot to hang the memory and the stories on for later.
Feb 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM

What a great idea, AisleSeat! They can watch the classic film with their children and grandchildren one day and take a walk down memory lane. I think every woman fell in love with that scene (and the gazebo) at a young age. I know I sure did and relished seeing the gazebo in person.

Can you get inside the gazebo, though? Perhaps it can be arranged with the Sound of Music Tour.

Whatever you decide, congrats traveler777! Please report back to us after you propose.
Feb 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I don't believe you can go in the Gazebo due to insurance reasons. I was there 2 years ago. but, again there are so many lovley places in Salzburg- up on the big hills, with gorgeous scenery all around.
Also, the lake district nearby is sooooo romantic and absolutley gorgeous. Wolgangsee or Mondsee are 2 ideas. Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Feb 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM

OK if you can't get INTO the gazebo propose IN FRONT OF the gazebo and let the SOM tour guide in it so they can be your photographer. Then when you get to the wedding church in Mondsee you can have your tour guide do the wedding (aren't they like captains on ships?)
Feb 11th, 2005, 03:54 PM

I vote for a spot atop the Festung Hohensalzburg overlooking the city facing toward the Salzach River.
But Salzburg is so picturesque, there may be 50 other worthwhile and memorable locations.
Feb 12th, 2005, 03:37 PM

I think this has sparked my romatic side. If it was me I would make sure you both see the Sound of Music before your trip. I would contact the Sound of Music tour company ahead of time and see it all up. I would propose in front of the SOM gazebo then I would whip out a really long veil and have it all set up for a priest to meet us at the SOM wedding church in Mondsee and have the ceremony ther with all the tour-mates as part of the wedding party. I would arrange for the organist at the church to play the SOM music from the wedding scene. Then when I got back home I would go to my local church and have the wedding blessed so the family could join in the celebration.
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion everyone! I am renting Sound of Music this weekend to get her reation to the movie. I am sure she'll love it either way!
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:07 AM

As far as the idea of the Gazebo, I was there in Sept. and the gazebo was locked, as suggested for insurance purposes.

While it may be a memorable idea for a fan of Sound of Music, I don't think it is located in the most beautiful of places. It was moved several years ago from the original location, and now sits close to a brick wall, looking out on a field (albeit beautiful field) and about 20 feet from a public restroom.

I like the idea of the top platform of the Fortress.
Mar 10th, 2005, 06:24 AM

For the second part of your question, I don't think you should have any trouble going through security with the ring. Just make sure your girlfriend walks ahead of you in the security line so if you do get tied up, she won't be able to see what's going on.

My husband carried my engagement ring through security one year ago on our trip to Italy. I went through security first and had no idea he had the ring in his coat pocket.

Give her the ring as early in the trip as possible. That way you won't have to worry all the time about losing the ring/her finding the ring and you can enjoy being engaged for a longer amount of time!
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM

stragic -

traveler777 probably isn't around.

He's supposed to be in Austria in March....maybe he's there now, proposing. Gee, do you think he'll come back and tell us if she said "yes"? >-

Robyn
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM

I'm hoping so, Robyn.
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM

May be too late for the reply however, just a thought....I used the processional music from the movie (SOM)for my wedding processional. It was and still is awesome! The church where that takes place is near the Mondsee. That might be a neat place to propose!