Salzburg or Innsbruck?

May 12th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Salzburg or Innsbruck?

Hello, going to be spending a day in Austria in June and would like some opinion about the best/most beautiful city...Salz or Inns? Interested in scenery, mountains, small/old town atmosphere....Thanks!
May 12th, 2003, 09:13 AM

That's a tough one since they are both such enjoyable cities with similar traits. However, if you are truly looking for small town charm, I would suggest Salzburg since it's smaller and has an older feel than Innsbruck. At least that's how I remember it from 15 or so years ago.

May 12th, 2003, 09:59 AM

I agree that Salsburg would be a better pick. The old town is especially pretty.We have been in Both. In fact just the other day someone asked us about this as he was planning an itinerary. I believe there is much more to see in Salzburg.
May 12th, 2003, 11:25 AM

We have been to both cities numerous time over a 30 year stretch. If I had my choice of only one of the two to see if would be SALZBURG. Great town to explore the old castle on top or take a guided tour.

Depending on time, you can also take a short drive from SALZBURG over to the German city of BERCHTESGADEN. Another town with a lot to see. It has the mountains, the KOINGSEE LAKE electric boat tour and a great trip up a mountain to see the KEILSTEIN, built for Hitler's 50th birthday and with magnificient views....plus good beer garden.

Enjoy the area!
May 12th, 2003, 12:03 PM
RAR

Another salzburg vote