Search

Rome in 3 days?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Derek

Rome in 3 days?

This will be my first trip to Italy. I will be flying from the West coast to Rome. Will 3 days be enough time to see the main highlights? I realize I will be jet lagged and am taking this into consideration. After Rome, I'm planning to take the train to Orvieto and pick up a rental car. From there, tour hill towns for a few days, drop car in Florence, stay there 2 nights, and train to Venice for 3 nights-Total of 12 nights. Any info regarding this will be greatly appreciated. I never realized how difficult planning a trip abroad could be! Thanks.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Tom

You might want more of Rome, but then what would you give up? I think you'll have a great time with your itinerary!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:37 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Derek, That is doable--not ideal but certainly doable. I would consider going to Florence first, and then get the car after. I am not sure what your options will be to PICK UP in Orvieto. For great Rome input see www.twenj.net.<BR>Four destinations in 12 days will work. You will not see all of Rome, but life is a compromise. Good luck !

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Rex

Bob and I are of like mind that Florence can be a gentler introduction to Italy than rome, whose traffic, sounds and sights are very, VERY intense. And they are only 90 minutes apart by train.<BR><BR>But a lot depends on your age, who you are with and how "urban" is your personality. Many would find your plan as close to ideal as is possible - - considering that it is cramming a lot into twelve days.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:47 AM
up

topping<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:02 AM
aj

Yes, three days will be OK but not enough. You will want to go back again to see more. Just be sure you have a good map and walk from day to night to see and experience all you can. Rome is wonderful and I can't wait to to back for more of Rome and Italy!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Myer

We were in Rome in May for about 4 days. That's not enough. That's more than enough.<BR><BR>Depends on the rules of the game. The only museum we really went to was the vatican. Almost all of our time was spent outdoors walking the city.<BR><BR>Wes criss-crossed everything from the vatican/St Peters - Piazza Popolo - Spanish Steps - via Veneto - Forum area - Colosseum and the various Piazzas, etc. <BR><BR>We walked and walked and had a great time. This could easily have been done in a day or so less.<BR><BR>You can view it at<BR>www.travelwalks.com <BR>(non commercial) <BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Why why why

Why did you bother?<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Vita

Hi, Derek. Three days will be enough time to see the main sites of Rome. There's actually a 3-day recommended itinerary that Fodors offers on this site. If you're pressed for time, save places like Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps for the evening. Just walk everywhere so you can take in Rome every second you're there. I love Rome. Enjoy!