Rome Advice???

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:09 AM
TMc

Rome Advice???

I am planning a trip to Rome late October-early November. Plan on spending 5-6 nights there or in the area. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Should we spend the entire time in Rome? Maybe spend the night in Florence? Buses? Trains? rental cars? What else is worth while in the area. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks to all.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Wayne

It mostly depends on what you want to see and do. It's certainly feasible to spend all your time in Rome and still hardly scratch the surface. But one day trip wouldn't detract too much from that. You might consider an early train departure to Orvieto, or go on to Florence. Either would be enjoyable and a nice change from Rome. Personally, I would stick closer and go only to Orvieto. A day trip to Florence is just a tickler, and you won't get a whole lot done.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Sandi

TMC,

I spent a week in Rome a few months ago. One of my favorite experiences was on a Sunday afternoon, renting/riding a bicycle along the Via Appia Antica. On Sundays traffic is restricted to walking or bikes only, no cars. If you encounter a nice sunny Sunday during your trip to Rome, I would highly recommend this experience!

Sandi

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Bob

If this is your first trip I would spend the entire time in Rome to see as much as you can. You will still not see all of it. Then return to Italy later for the other cities.

You do not need or want a car in Rome. Use the subway, taxi or walk. Driving is terrible and we drive all over Europe...except Rome.

Take a good 1 day tour of the city when you arrive. This will give you a feel for the main sites and you can return to things that interest you to spend more time.

You will encounter pickpockets in Rome. It is a city sport. Be careful with what you carry and how you carry it. They are out there and they are smarter about it than you are. Young girls nursing babies will approach you for a handout. That is a pickpocket. Trust me on that one.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Question

Sandi, or anyone else who might know - where can one rent a bike in Rome? Is there a place to rent bikes near the Via Appia Antica?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Sandi

I really wasn't planning on renting a bike, just happened across a little shop along the Via Appia Antica as I was walking. I got to experience much more along the road on the bike than I would have by just walking. I can't remember specifics about the place, I just know I took a city bus to the beginning of the road and started walking. Maybe five minutes along or so I encountered the bike rental shop.

Sandi

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:01 PM
a--z

-
Keep it simple and spend your entire time in Rome. No need whatsoever for a rent car. Can easily get around the city by foot, bus, taxi & the limited subway system.

The definitive website on Rome is (or used to be) 'Traveling with Ed & Julie'. Ed was a font of knowledge, posted on this website and unfortunately passed away last year. I don't know if their site is kept current. It's at http://www.twenj.com/ or may have been changed to http://www.twenj.net. I haven't looked at it recently.

If you want news info, then this site
http://www.inrometoday.com/ is printed in English. Italy has other daily newspapers, however not all of them are available online in English.