Rome Eats Or Paris Beats?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are trying to determine a fall trip to Europe between Rome and Paris. We were wondering how much a quick lunch, like a sandwich or slice of pizza would cost in Rome? We are trying to go cheap! Thanks for anyones help!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
ira

Hi S,

Whether to visit Rome or Paris shouldn't depend on the cost of a slice of pizza in either city.

They will be within 50 cents of each other.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

haha, yes I agree! Its my husband, he would like a cost analysis of the trip before he decides on booking it. See we were in Paris in October, and it ended up costing quite a bit more than planned. We didnt get to see a lot in Paris due to the rugby world cup finals and the transportation strike! So when asking about the price for lunch, we were able to eat sandwichs on side streets for 4 or 5 euros a piece.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM
ira

Hi S,

It will be about the same in Rome as in Paris.

The US State Dept allows about 10% more for meals and incidentals in Rome than in Paris.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:21 AM
sjj

On our European trips our major expense is lodging. With this in mind, maybe you should think of staying in an apartment rather than a hotel and eating one or two meals a day there rather than at restaurants. If you agree, you could decide between Rome and Paris based on what's available in apartments and how expensive they are. To me, this makes more sense than trying to differentiate between the cities based on the cost of lunch.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:47 AM

I found hotels in Rome to be higher-priced for an equal 'quality' of those in Paris. I'd never booked my own hotel in Rome before and read a LOT of reviews that mentioned 'prepackaged' breakfast goods and bad coffee, or questionable cleanliness.

We were very happy last Sept. with the Residenza Antica Roma (via del Tritone) at 180€ for a twin room w/bath opening onto a semi-private terrace, A/C, mini-fridge and a great breakfast spread. I think the rate is 190€ for 2008. That's the most I've EVER paid for a hotel.

We really like having a mini-fridge in the room, and there seem to be a lot more without them than with them. So if that isn't important, then you have more choices.

In Paris, we use a budget hotel that is in an outer arrondissement, but I know from my 'studies' that there are many, many nice and centrally located hotels for 150-180€, or less if you accept a bit plainer decor or no A/C, etc.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow, great advice everyone. Im totally leaning towards Rome, just for the fact I havent gone, and Im not sure how much the dollar is going to sink, better now than never! I do love Paris though, its a very captivating city. Ill be sure to print everyone's suggestions out.

Has anyone gone to the underground beneath St. Peters in Rome? Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on places to eat in Rome? I had a patient last year who recommended a fabulous place in Paris and now Im hooked on everyones recommendations...
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Another option to consider, in either city, is renting an apartment for your stay. Many rentals are available for as few as 3 nights, and it's a great way to travel. It also gives you the flexibility of being able to store food items and prepare light meals. We haven't visited Rome yet (going in June!) but I can personally vouch for the fantastic quality of prepared food available at street-markets, small shops and the gourmet food sections of the department stores in Paris. Not to mention the pastries........

There are many, many rental agencies out there, as well as private rentals, and all of the owners/managers I've ever corresponded with have been extremely nice, helpful and responsive.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
sd, if you click on my name, my full Rome trip report from November 2007 that answers most of your questions.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Why not do both?! That's what my husband and I will be doing in October!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM

On our last trip to Rome (March 2008) we had gelato for lunch on three different days. Our favorite gelato place is Old Bridge, located across the street from where people line up to get into the Vatican Museum. For 2,50 euros you can get a giant cone topped with whipped cream.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:34 AM

Hi,

In my experience, Paris is more expensive than Rome. The first time I visited Paris, I did it along with Rome. I visited Paris first and I was a bit concerned because of what things cost, but when I got to Rome, I was a bit more relieved because everything seemed to be less expensive.

Considering landmarks and charm, I like Rome better than Paris.

If you do a good reserach, you can find fine inexpensive B&B's in Rome. I'd rather stay in an good and inexpensive B&B and be able to eat well than in an expensive and wonderfully-located hotel and be concerned about money all the time. It certainly is great to stay at a hotel with wonderful views of the city and located a few steps away from charming areas, but, at the end of the day, all you will be doing there is sleeping not living, so, for me, that's a total waste of money that could be spent on great food.

Castellanese.