Search

Paris vs Rome

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Otto

Paris vs Rome

Paris or Rome ? Beeing undecided in wich of those two cities I'll spend my easter vacations I'm curious to know which is your favorite and why

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Alex

Paris wins hands down. Went to Rome last year, didn't like it at all: too noisy, extremely dirty, crazy traffic (you're beting your life each time you cross the street), and I was very disappointed with the food. I love "fettuccine al Pesto", couldn't find any decent. <BR>Paris is the most beautifull city on earth, not only it is cleaner, but I felt it is also much safer than Rome.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 08:14 AM
june

I vote for Paris also. Although I disagree with Alex about Rome I definitely prefer Paris. My husband who does not like cities in general loves Paris. Have a great time.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 08:48 AM
GAC

While I love Paris and agree that it is an extremely beautiful city in every respect, and has many fantastic museums, I should point out that Rome has art and architecture spanning a much longer period of history than does Paris, which is essentially a modern (Post seventeenth century) city. For someone interested in European history, I must say that Rome beats Paris handily. Moreover, the nearly 1000 churches of Rome offer much more to see than all the churches of Paris.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 09:04 AM
KT

I kind of think that there are "Rome people" and "Paris people." Personally, I prefer Rome -- the art, the architectural richness, the layers upon layers of history, the way little fragments of ancient buildings or streetside shrines pop up unexpectedly, the food, the vibrancy. Paris, to me, is more formal, more refined, and architecturally more homogeneous. Paris people would probably respond that Paris is more civilized, while Rome is chaotic. I don't think one is better than the other -- it really is a matter of taste. Why don't you look at some books with lots of pictures of each and see which one grabs you?

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Kate

I'd have to agree with KT. I've been to both Paris & Rome (Rome...just last month.) Paris still wins as my favorite city esp. for a romantic vacation. It's clean, charming, beautiful...the food is fabulous. I've had some wonderful vacations there w/my husband. Rome is crazy, dirty, vibrant & spirited (like Manhatten w/ruins.) I loved Rome for different reasons. The depth of the history there is mind-boggling. The art is incredible. The Vatican galleries are fascinating. I'm not a history buff but after having visited Rome, I wanted to be. The food was also wonderful. It depends what you are up for. Paris is definitely more genteel (but the people may not be as friendly...) Good luck with your decision...what a wonderful decision to have to make!!!!!!<BR>Kate

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Janice

Dear Otto,<BR>It's an enviable dilemma - they are both great cities, in their own way. I must confess that I prefer Paris, because it's much more ... comfortable? The remark about taking your life in your hands in Roman traffic is the truth, and the noise level is considerably higher. But the people in Rome are more approachable initially (French people do warm up, though!). I think the previous poster nailed it pretty well, if you like a certain element of chaos, noise, historic ruins (and the magic that is the Vatican) etc. then Rome will suit you well. If you like quiet, gentility and refinement, (and the very different magic that is the Latin Quater) Paris is better. And if you're not accustomed to large cities (since you didn't say where you're from) I think Paris is a little less intimidating for an urban rookie. But you're not likely to regret either choice!

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Virginia

I know that this is not a popular response but if I have longer than a weekend I would skip both these cities. I pop over from NYC on long weekends but I also felt very similar about these cities when I have been in Europe for longer stays. They are both large cities if that facinates you go for it. I feel that smaller towns capture the European spirit or culture I am looking for. Large cities are very modernized and just not pretty to breath or just find peace in. Vienna is one of my favorite cities along with Salzburg Austria when factoring in size. I LOVE ITALY but feel overwhelmed even in Florence. Take one trip to Sienna, Assis (sp), or even Vennice and you may also be swept away by their charm. Vennice a tad touristy but still nice.<BR><BR>I am going to Paris in January and hope I can shake this big city bug I feel. I would choose a city that has incredible day trip options. Last Winter I was in Milan and had great time going up to Cuomo (sp?) which is a breath taking moutain/lake region.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Barb

Rome - because the food is way better and more affordable than Paris and the Italians are a lot friendlier. Also you can get to Florence and Venice in a few hours.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Vita

Hi, Otto. Boy, did you start something. Something to consider - Does your Easter vacation actually fall on Easter? If so, you might want to consider what these cities will be like around this holiday (closings, weather, etc.) and if that would be a plus or minus for you. I haven't been to Paris (yet), but I loved Rome. I spent 5 nights there in October. It is hectic, but I liked that and I found it pretty easy to escape when I needed some peace and quiet.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Otto

Thank you all for your feedbacks!<BR><BR>Yes, my Easter vacation actually fall in Easter, does that means Rome will be very croweded?<BR>I am planning for a 7 days holiday with my girlfriend. We are from Copenhaguen (Denmark), both in our thirties. In Europe I've been to Spain, England, Switzerland, Germany and all of the Scandinavian countries, but neither me or my partner have ever been in any of those 2 cities. <BR>Being from a "weathersucks" country, we were kind of attracted by Rome, but do you think it is too chaotic for two rationals-organised-ordered-minded northener like us? <BR>Is Paris better for romance?<BR>Please, keep on coming, we are still undecided...

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Grasshopper

Based on you weather criteria, I'd say Rome. Paris will most likely be cold and rainy. Besides, both are cities and quite frankly equally chaotic. Even though Rome is chaotic it is layed back, relaxed, friendlier, and has incredible things to see. Plus, in my opinion better food and wine. <BR><BR>But of course you must put Paris on your list NEXT.<BR><BR>Alex, pesto is a northern Italian item. Go to Genoa or the Cinque Terre.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 01:26 PM
joe

I'm in a Paris phase of life right now. When I was younger I prefered Rome. Now, Rome seems dirty and more third-world.The first time that you see the colosium or the inside of St.Peters paints a picture that stays in your mind forever.<BR>You might want to try Paris first, it's a better place to get your feet wet.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Capo

Hi Otto. Of all the European cities I've been to, Paris is my favorite...but Rome is a close second. <BR><BR>As for which one *you* might like better, I've got to agree with Grasshopper: based on your weather criteria, I'd recommend Rome over Paris that time of year.<BR><BR>And, no, I don't think that Rome would be too chaotic for two ordered-minded people like you and your girlfriend. <BR><BR>I was there this past March for the first time, the weather was (for the most part) wonderful (sunny and quite warm) and it was not nearly as chaotic, or noisy, as I'd expected.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 02:20 PM
David Abdullah

Definitely Paris for love and romance!<BR>I was in Paris for Easter a couple of years ago and the weather was great- coolish and dry, good for an overcoat. You cannot compare good french food to italian food unless you are from the US and are a regular at pizza hut. There is so much to do and see in Paris though I agree there are more churchs and ruins in Rome. Whoever thinks italian wine is better than a good french wine is not a serious wine drinker. Paris is for lovers. This statement is not original to me. I think once you have seen Rome you have seen Rome. However, you experience Paris. Make the correct decision and go to Paris.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Deepa

I prefer Rome, anyday. I think Rome is more of a walking city than Paris is. One can easily enjoy Rome by just walking and without getting into the metro. Paris, on the other hand, is a more spread out city. As mentioned above, the Italians are more friendly and more exhuberant, more full of life. The ancient history, every where you look,is unbeatable. BTW, we have visited Rome in April and the weather was superb.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Mangiabene

And whoever thinks that good Italian food has any relation to Pizza Hut is not a serious eater.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Mipps

I'd go to both. You can get to each one fairly easily and quickly via train. Then you can make up your own mind instead of relying on peoples' very personal opinions. We can't tell you which is best...only you can do that!

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Capo

Re: "I think Rome is more of a walking city than Paris is."<BR><BR>Deepa, I'm in complete agreement with you on that. Before I went to Rome I briefly corresponded with a travel writer for the Seattle Times (who loves both Paris & Rome) and she told me that I was going to be surprised at how compact Rome is, compared to Paris. She was right. It was very easy (IMO, of course!) to walk to every important sight in Rome. Not so in Paris.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Grasshopper

David, a bit strong on the personal opinions, wouldn't you say? IMO, and I live in Northern California wine country, a great Brunello can't be beat. And the food... I consider the gauntlet thrown! And "make the correct decision"? Who's to say that your correct decision is everyone's correct decision. Roma is an acquired taste. Perhaps you are not ready for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -