Rome airport to Civitavecchia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do we get from the Rome airport to Civitavecchia?
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:52 AM

If you have bags the best is to hire a taxi or driver that way they drop you right at the ship. If you take the train you have a good 15 min walk (4 blocks to dock then along dock to ship) and dragging bags that's a pain. There are services that do it also taxi's (appx.100e)he cheapest by far is the train it runs appx 10e big difference, runs a few times an hour. You should also check your ships shuttle fee some are not that bad while others are out of sight.
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Windstar's shuttle fee is $159 per person, which I think is high. Would we have to go into Rome to get the train or is there train service from the airport? Do you know a web site for a company/person who provides this service? Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to train from the airport train station, take the local FM 1 (not the Leonardo Express to Rome) train which leaves every 15 minutes. You must change trains at Rome Trastevere station (travel time is 25 minutes). From Rome Trastever to Civitavecchia the travel time is 50-60 minutes (two trains per hour) depending on train. Total train cost from airport to Civitavecchia is 12.10€.
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM

KYB has it correct so basically you go north into Rome to Trastevere‎ station where you do change trains and head back south to the port. Here is a link to a video that shows you the route from train station to port.
Be aware there has been a lot of rip offs of late at both train stations while folks are boarding gettin seated etc. on the local trains. http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...82/m/853107063

You might also consider going on cruise critic and seeing if anyone on your cruise is arriving at more or less of the same time as yourself and see if you can split a taxi\shuttle fare - just a thought.
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM

We have made that run four times and it is easy to do. However, should probably plan on walking from the Civit... train station to the port entrance. About half a mile along the beach. There is a shuttle bus from the station for 1.1E. But it is small and the waiting line is long. Taxis are available but the price is high for a half mile trip. A free shuttle bus from the port entrance will take you to your ship's check in area.
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>KYB has it correct so basically you go north into Rome to Trastevere‎ station where you do change trains and head back south to the port.<<<

Civitavecchia is not south of Rome Trastevere, it's north.
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM

KYB you are correct.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM

I make that trip frequently. The easiest way, I find, is to take a one day auto rental from Da Vinci, and have a pleasant drive to Civitavecchia. It takes about one hour, and there is lovely scenery along the way. I drop my wife and luggage off right at the embarcation area, and I then return the auto to the agency at the train staion. I then take a leisurely walk back to the embarcation area and we're all set. It costs less than $50, and we don't have to lug luggage around.