Search

Golfing in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM
ptm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golfing in Scotland

Hi Everyone, I am starting to plan our trip to St. Andrew's Scotland for my DH's 50th birthday in 2011. We plan to go sometime between September ,2011 and the middle of October 2011 with a small group of friends (not sure the number of people joining us). When does the Old Course at St. Andrews close? We are looking for any advice we can get regarding golfing at St. Andrew's. This is my DH's dream birthday. I am not a golfer but plan to spend time sightseeing etc with a few of our "non golfing" friends. We are thinking of staying in St. Andrew's for 4 or 5 days. Also, I was thinking of arranging a special dinner to celebrate the birthday....any suggestions? Thanks for all the help....ptm
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM

"Golfers wishing to book a tee time in advance on the Old Course should download an application form from this website and apply at 10am BST on the first Wednesday in September for a tee time the following year."

That is from this website:

http://www.standrews.org.uk/

which you might want to read.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
TCC

Wow! what a great birthday present!
We attended the 2005 Open Championship at St Andrews in 2005.
We actually stayed in Edinburgh and took a special train and
bus to attend on Thursday and Friday. We watched Saturday's round and the final on Sunday at the Golf Tavern in Edinburgh,
a great tavern with a FREE fun short golf course for anyone to play.
We walked around the town of St Andrews on Friday. It looked as though it would be a great place to stay.Lots of pubs, shops, restaurants, and a University.

As for playing golf on the Old Course at St Andrews, there is an advanced reservation process that starts in September for the following year and a daily ballot (lottery) for other tee times.
It's explained at
http://www.standrews.org.uk/Playing-...w-to-book.aspx

How about staying at the Old Course Hotel.
$$$$$ - but for such a special trip, maybe worth it.

After attending the Open Champioship, playing golf at the Old Course, and staying at the Old Course Hotel made it to my "bucket list"
Please keep us up to date on your planning and do a trip report for this wonderful event.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM

I have friends who rented a holiday cottage about 4 miles from the Old Course. There wer six of them and they played golf some but did a lot more, too. Just a thought about getting a cottage, depending on the final number of your group.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>When does the Old Course at St. Andrews close?</i>"

There is play year round. It is just that they use mats in the winter season. Sept/Oct are 'matless'.

The Old Course Hotel is really fine -- but for a group, I think it would be more fun to rent a large place somewhere on the coast and make a house party of it. They can also play Carnoustie (if any have a masochist side ) and all the other Fife courses. Most are used for qualifying when the Open is at St Andrews.

Plus lots of sightseeing possibilities and things for any non-players to see/do.

Falkland Palace, the Fife fishing villages, Glamis Castle, Edinburgh, Loch Leven Castle, Castle Campbell, etc.

For the celebration dinner - the Peat Inn would be my choice.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:44 AM

Agree with the above. Other special places for dinner would include the Seafood Restaurant in St Andrews and Sangsters in Elie.
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:37 AM
DDA

The Vine Leaf Restaurant in St Andrews is very good. Would be nice for a special dinner.
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM
ptm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great advice. I need all the help I can get. I did not know about the advance reservation process...thank you. Also, renting a cottage sounds like a great idea! We were thinking about staying at the Old Course hotel for a few days then moving on to a cottage or another part of the country. I am sure my DH and friends will want to golf more than one course!!! We are really looking forward to this trip and I will be asking a lot of questions. I did hear something about a whiskey dinner/tour? Does anyone know about this? Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate everyone's tips! Ptm
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:16 AM

There are various companies which run whisky tours. Google. I've never done one.

IMHO, you really don't want to tour distilleries. Pick a nice one and go there. You'll learn it all in one go, and a series will just get tedious.

You are within striking distance of Edradour at Pitlochry which would be my pick for you; or you could go to the Famous Grouse Whisky Experience at Glen Turret, which gives an overview.

There is a new distillery in Fife at Daftmill, which it might be fun to visit.

http://www.daftmill.com/

Again, various places do dinners with nosings. I don't know any in Fife, but you will certainly get in Edinburgh or some of the posh hotels in the Central Belt.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
ptm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info re: touring distilleries etc. I am kind of excited about this as I want to surprise my DH and friends with a special "birthday" dinner/whiskey sipping event! All ideas much appreciated! Thanks again....ptm
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Do this trip in September if possible. The weather worsens as you get into fall. It can get wet, cold and windy in Scotland -- summer as well as fall! So be prepared with layers, the outer one of which is waterproof.
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
ptm
Original Poster

Thanks Mimar, Great advice and we are taking it...we have are planning to go mid-September!...Thanks again...Ptm
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:58 PM

couple other courses to play if you've the time...

Royal Dornoch - one of the best examples of a links style course. Might be too far of a drive, but is a great course!

Cruden Bay - another amazing links style course. Had a great round here!

have a great trip....
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I definitely agree re Cruden Bay and Royal Dornoch.

The folks I've taken on golf trips have enjoyed St Andrews for the experience/history -- but they have w/o exception <U>LOVED</U> Dornoch.