Purchase train tickets in advance, yes or no

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is probably for our resident expert in Dresden, INGO!!

Shall I purchase our train ticket from Dresden to Berlin now, via internet..or shall we wait until we are in Dresden. We want 1st class...and this will be a 1 way ticket.

THanks.

Judi H.
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:05 AM

I think German train tickets are cheaper if you book ahead. The recent trip I did had 3 different prices and the least expensive price was gone when I booked so I had to pay the next higher price.
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi J,

www.bahn.de often has early internet sales. Check them out.

Old May 9th, 2010, 07:38 AM

It is always cheaper to buy in advance on the internet.
For 1st class you won't get cheaper than €49 (saver fare ticket), but you are restricted to travel only with that train you booked the ticket for on that specific date. The regular and fully flexible fare is €60, so you save €11 per ticket. If you want/need flexible, you can buy now or 10 minutes before the train will depart - the price will remain the same.
I'm not sure why you insist on 1st class, though. It's absolutely your business, of course, but the train ride is just a bit over 2 hours, and 2nd class is not exactly uncomfortable. And you get a €19 fare when you book in advance and when there is availability.
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM

I agree with Cowboy on all terms except 1st vs. 2nd class. The trains Dresden-Berlin are usually Czech or Hungarian trains which are not so very clean and comfortable in 2nd class (my experience). Not sure if 1st class is much better, though!

The saver fare tickets don't sell out quickly on that route. You'll most likely get one (two) for 19 Euro (each) for 2nd class. Considering what you save compared to 1st class, I would probably go for this one. Should not be a problem to be restricted to the booked train because there's only one at 9.04 and one at 11.04 am that are interesting for you, right? So the choices are very limited.

I.
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Good point about the trains from CZ and HU! I only had the "luck" twice to travel with one of those. As you said, the seats looked and felt a bit dated. In 1st class it was seats had been wider, but also a bit worn-out
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we need to be in Berlin on a certain date...and would like to get there in the early afternoon. I'm also not that concerned about saving a few bucks...need comfort and dependability.

I'm somewhat confused. I've always been told that to guarentee a seat you should get a 1st class ticket, and also it's better because there is a place for your luggage. We're 2 senior citiznes and my husband is having some back problems, so we would like to be as comfortable as possible...but a 2 hour train ride is certainly duable. Ingo, are you saying to go with the saver fair ticket? and shall I buy in advance, or just wait til we get to Dresden?

Thanks...Judi
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Cowboy, I could tell you stories about these trains ... or better not! Once when I travelled Dresden-Hamburg in August A/C in that Czech train didn't work. It was really hot outside, the sun burnt down and it was unbearable. The look I got from the receptionist at the Atlantic was ... um ... LOL

Judi, the trains between Dresden and Berlin are almost never crowded. If 1st class isn't much better as Cowboy said then go with 2nd class and make a seat reservation if you want to be sure. Saver tickets must be purchased three days in advance minimum - would that work for you? If you don't get a saver ticket then you could still buy tickets for the regular fare (which isn't that much more anyway).

So, if you're not concerned about a few bucks I'd wait until in Dresden, see if 2nd class Saver tickets are availabe, if not buy regular fare 2nd class and make a seat reservation.

Btw, have you thought about going by bus? These buses are excellent. Spotless clean, A/C, comfortable. www.berlinlinienbus.de (English version available).
Fare for a senior is 14 Euro. The stops in Dresden are right behind main railway station (Hauptbahnhof, Bayerische Strasse) and the square in front of railway station Dresden-Neustadt (Schlesischer Platz).

I.
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Ingo: Does your advice also go for taking a train from Zurich to Milan in early June?
When I looked on the SBB site, it appeared I could not get second class tickets on Friday, June 4 for the 9 am train to Milan,
and that there was no Discount far for first class tickets, so it was very expensive for 2 travelers: CHF 286.
Are there any "sales" during the week or discounts on SBB fares? Thanks for any help, and don't mean to hijack, but your infor would be most helpful, hopefully to others also.
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Never considerd the bus. Looks like it's about the same amount of time!! I just have to see what stop in Berlin to get off..we are staying at the Hotel Concorde Berlin.

So I think I will wait til we get to Dresden...and then make the decision..will purchase tickets when we are there. And yes, I can purchase 3 days in advance...as we will be in Dresden 4 days...Thanks Ingo!! Enjoy Gorlitz...I too am looking forward to our day trip to Gorlitz. Guide has been hired and we are all set. Judi
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM

taconictraveler, we're talking about Deutsche Bahn here, not the SBB. I am not an expert for the Zürich - Milan trip, but as far as I know the SBB rarely has discounted tickets on sale, and probably not at all to Milan. Btw, regular (standard fare) tickets never sell out at SBB. Or were you looking for the Cisalpino train which is run by the Italian Railways?

Judi, glad to hear you're all set for Görlitz. You must be so excited for this trip!

I.
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks, Ingo. So I guess I can get the tickets when I arrive in Zurich, for the next day. Would love to do the Cisalpino, but I've heard on this site that it is not happening any more, and anyway, we do not now have time to do it, need to get to Umbria where we'll spend our first week.
Happy travels to you all.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM

>Would love to do the Cisalpino, but I've heard on this site that it is not happening any more,

Only the name doesn't "happen". The same trains run over the same line with the same frequency, only with the SBB print on it instead of "Cisalpino". It is also not some tourist train but just a brand name for the joint company of Trenitalia and SBB who operated the trains on both Swiss main routes across the Alps.
Now the SBB operates them alone which is an improvement.

>and anyway, we do not now have time to do it, need to get to Umbria where we'll spend our first week.

So how in the world do you want to get to Umbria by train from Zürich quickly and NOT use the Gotthard route?
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:01 AM

We did Berlin to Dresden round trip last year and had wonderful trains (DB) in both directions. We were in First and did make reservations in advance.
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Book Zurich-Milan in advance at www.sbb.ch.

In advance, there are plenty of cheap tickets available, for either CHF30 or CHF45, but on the day it's more like CHF96.
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:00 AM

altamiro: I guess there's something ELSE I don't know. I was thinking that the Cisalpino just went over the Bernina.
Yes, we will be doing the Gotthard to get to Milan from Zurich. (I'm not much on European trains, though I've been on quite a few, but I can still, thank goodness, look at a map)
thanks for straigtening me out.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Judi1
On May 7 2010 we traveled from Prague to Berlin by DB rail.
We were in 1st and the car was nearly full.
Second was jammed.
I don't know if this was because of the volcano or some sports event.
just the week before we traveled Vienna to Prague 2nd and we were the only people in the car for 1/2 the trip.
I would recommend buying 1st over the internet for the trip you are planning.
Our tickets cost € 108.5 for two persons and we had them mailed to us.
don82
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

THanks for your comments. I think I'm going to take Ingo advice and wait til we get to Dresden and then purchase tickets once in Dresden. Ingo says we can purchase saver tickets 3 days in advance & that works for us as we will be in Dresden 4 days before having to leave for Berlin. Of course, if Ingo makes any new suggestions, I'll take his advice.

Thanks...Judi
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM

It was because of the volcano I think. Also, it was a Friday, the most busy day of the week.

I just checked for next week Wednesday (and Monday is a holiday in Germany!) and there were still saver tickets available for 19 Euro. So no need to worry. Judi, just make sure you book these the first day you're in Dresden.

I.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank Ingo.

We arrive in Dresden on Fri, June 18th...and leave for Berlin on Tues. the 22nd. So we'll go to the train station on Friday and buy our tickets. (that is if I can stay awake!)

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions...you have helped me a great deal with so many of my questions.

Judi