Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to get from central Rome to the airport and from the airport to the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia?

What is the best way to get from central Rome to the airport and from the airport to the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia?

Oct 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Please help with the best ways to travel these routes, and an approximate cost?

1)Rome hotel to the airport

2)airport to the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia

3)cruise terminal in Civitavecchia to Rome hotel

I am asking because I am trying to decide whether I should stay in Rome for a night or two after debarking a cruise. I was leaning towards staying in Rome until a few people mentioned to me that the transportation costs going from Civitavecchia to Rome would be very expensive, and then I would have to add the cost of transportation from the hotel in Rome to the airport.

Before I can book my flights I have to decide whether I should stay in Rome, or fly home the same day as debarking the ship. I will have to choose based on cost.

Your help will be truly appreciated.
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:51 PM
GAC

You can find the answers to your questions in
www.trenitalia.com

From Central Rome/Termini Station to the airport, there is the half-hourly nonstop train "Leonardo da Vinci" which takes 31 minutes and costs 8.80 Euros.

From the airport to Civitavecchia, take the local COMMUTER train to Rome Ostiense Station (DO NOT TAKE the nonstop train to Rome Termini Station), which leaves every 15 minutes, and CONNECT to the hourly train bound for Civitavecchia.

From Civitavecchia back to Central Rome, take the hourly direct train which terminates at Rome Termini.

The train to and from Civitavecchia has both 1st and 2nd class rail cars.

The nonstop train (Leonardo da Vinci) from the airport to Termini is rated only 1st class.

The local commuter train from the airport to Rome Ostiense Station is rated only 2nd class.

From the Civitavecchia train station to the ferry dock is a very short and inexpensive cab ride.
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you so much, GAC. So, this really won't be expensive or too inconvenient. Will I need to make reservations for any of these options?

Thanks again. You have been sooo helpful!

BTW, will this be difficult for someone who does not speak Italian?
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:04 PM

Happy- email Andrea at [email protected] and he can quote you a price for car service from the Port to ROME--
cheaper and way more comfortable than the cruise bus.....in EITHER direction...

wesite is www.limoservicerome.com and they are awesome...we used them for cruise pick up and return...

STAY in ROME after the cruise ---

Which ship will you be on??
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:08 PM

happy- I forgot to tell you that the PORT at Civittevecchia is just a dock- NO toilet facilites NOR a place to sit down..Do NOT get there too early or else you will STAND in the hot sun and broil......

Also, do you really want to schlep your luggage a pretty long walk UP HILL to catch a train after taking a relaxing cruise..Seems like it would be a stress inducing plan after a relaxing cruise in the MED...
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:20 AM
GAC

Happy2travel: the 2 train lines from Fiumicino Airport to Rome cannot be reserved (nor is there any need to do so). The trains between Roma Ostiense and Civitavecchia also cannot be reserved. There are a few Intercity Trains (IC) between Rome TERMINI Station and Civitavecchia which can be reserved. I suggest that you purchase train tickets at the rail station ticket window at Fiumicino airport. The ticket agents speak some English. Tell them you want to go to Civitavecchia connecting at Ostiense Station. They will sell you two tickets: one from the Airport to Roma Ostiense (Euro 4.70), a second from Roma Ostiense to Civitavecchia. You can consult schedules and fares at www.trenitalia.com

P.S.: I recommend that you connect at Rome Ostiense Station rather than at Rome Trastevere Station, since the former is much more modern and has more travel amenities than the rather basic and run-down Trastevere Station. The Stations are 3 minutes apart, Ostiense lying on the east side of the Tiber river immediately after passing through Trastevere on the west side of the river.
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:36 AM
GAC

CLARIFICATION: there are three types of trains between Roma Ostiense Station and Civitavecchia. The most frequent, "Regionale" Train ("R"), takes one hour, and is rated only 2nd class (3.70 Euros). The "Diretto" train ("D") also takes one hour, but also carries 1st class rail cars (5.70 Euros). There are a few Intercity trains (IC) as well, which are faster and cost a bit more. You can reserve seats on the IC trains, but must do so at least 3 hours before train departure, which may not be feasible in your case. I suggest that you focus your attention on one of the Regionale or Diretto trains, which are very frequent on this route. Sometimes, the Diretto trains can get crowded in second class (since they go all the way to Pisa), so you might consider paying the extremely modest supplement of 2 Euros to travel in 1st class.