ROME

Jan 21st, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

ROME

Hello

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto in Rome?
And how was it?

We were thinking of staying at Castello della Castelluccio outside Rome , but might be too inconvenient if you only have 2 days to see Rome, but was thinking would be quieter and less expensive.

Thanks, Joan
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM

Hi Joanada,

Haven't stayed there myself, but others here have. If you use the "search" box above and type in the hotel name you will get some threads containing info on the ponte Sisto. I remember they were good reviews.

Most of the better hotels will have double-paned windows that shut out the noise. If it's summer, then you must also have A/C, obviously. Personally, I prefer to stay in the city centers, rather the spend additional $$$ and time commuting in.

Also, it will help you get more responses if you put the specific name of the hotel in your post title and ask for Fodorites' experiences at this property.

Buon viaggio! I love Roma!
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM

The Hotel Ponte Sisto is in a quiet area even though it is very central (though I can't say if it's less expensive). I have not stayed there - only walked past. Hopefully someone who has will chime in.
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM

I haven't stayed at the Ponte Sisto but I wanted to. Some of its rooms face an interior courtyard garden; those rooms shouild be very quiet. I agree with staying in Rome in the Centro Storico. You should be able to walk most places from this hotel.
Jan 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hello

Thanks for the info. We will be there in April.
Also, would love to stay at the Hassler or de Russie, but at over 600 eur a day, forget it.

The Ponte Sisto seems still a fairly high quality , but lower prices than the other hotels located at the Spanish Steps.

Joan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:42 AM

Hi Joanada,

Can't help you as we are staying in the Ponte Sisto only this May.

But be aware that there're a few comments here about the a/c in the hotel (probably you won't need it as you're going in April). And do check out the prices on reservationitaly.com, as mentioned before in the forum.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:25 AM

My husband and I have stayed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto and we loved it! Our room was immaculate, comfortable, and afforded all the amenities we needed. The young staff was extremely kind and helpful in finding some great places to eat and answering any other question we had. I do not hesitate in recommending the hotel. It is a lovely, little oasis with a nice location in Rome.

Valarie
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM

I stayed there in early April of 2006 and found it very pleasant, clean, and in a good location. It's not luxurious or in any way comparable to the Hassler or de Russie, obviously, but it is a decent value for the price. I actually got a much better rate through Venere and even contacted the hotel directly to see if they could match it but they told me to go ahead and book through Venere, which I did.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM

If you want a level of luxury of the Hassler or Russie but in the Centro Storico, there is also the Raphael Hotel.

http://www.raphaelhotel.com/
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Hello

Thanks so much for all the info. It is a really hard decision what to do.

The only draw back to the Ponte Sisto, that I see, is they do not serve dinner or even have room service.

So if you have a terrace, you cannot even have a meal on it.

Has any one or know of anyone that has stayed at the Castello della Castelluccia, it is ten miles outside of Rome.

It looks beautiful, but when I write they don't seem to get back to you.

Thanks again, Joan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto last April/May and would return in a heartbeat.

I shared a jr suite which comprised of a room with two twins and another room with a pull out couch. The bathroom was a decent size for 3 people.

The breakfast was varied and good; the location can't be beat. It is a 3 min walk to Campo di Fiore and 5 min to Travestere.

The only downside is do not get a room facing the street. It can be quite noisy from the foot traffic coming over the bridge from Trastevere.

Gail
Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM

I would be curious to know the price at the Ponte Sisto. We are currently booked for the Inn at the Spanish Steps for April and although not cheap, not as pricey as the De Russie. We stayed at the De Russie the last time we were in Rome and sigh, wish we could every time. The prices have gone up by a third since we were there in 2006.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Hello

The person that wrote and mentioned the Hotel Raphael, looks really nice. Looked it up and fantastic location and nicer rooms and dining room than the Ponte Sisto. The Ponte Sisto right now for the suite is 430 eur incl. breakfast. I am just enquiring of the other hotel. They seem to have specials too. The suites are beautiful and warm feeling where the suite at the Sisto are more bland and bare. Hard decision, depends I guess what you need. Thanks again for all the help. Joan
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM

Joan, after reading your additional posts, I don't think you would be satisfied with the Ponte Sisto, especially with the price you quoted. This is definitely not a hotel with dinner or room service or where you could have dinner on your balcony. As I said, it's a very nice, basic hotel in a great location and some nice touches with great views, but not at all what you're describing. I paid closer to $150 (easier to translate into dollars now since the rate was about 1 E = $1.27 two years ago) and although you've quoted a price for a suite, I would never pay that amount for this hotel. It suited my needs fine, but it sounds like you're looking for a more elegant experience. Louisa
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM

Joan, after reading your additional posts, I don't think you would be satisfied with the Ponte Sisto, especially with the price you quoted. This is definitely not a hotel with dinner or room service or where you could have dinner on your balcony. As I said, it's a very nice, basic hotel in a great location and some nice touches with great views, but not at all what you're describing. I paid closer to $150 (easier to translate into dollars now since the rate was about 1 E = $1.27 two years ago) and although you've quoted a price for a suite, I would never pay that amount for this hotel. It suited my needs fine, but it sounds like you're looking for a more elegant experience. Louisa

Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM

Please excuse the double post. For some reaon, I had difficulty the first time.