Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family Trip to Europe-little kids under 4yo....Want to rent a villai in a family-friendly great city/beach area in Europe & having trouble narrowing it down?

Family Trip to Europe-little kids under 4yo....Want to rent a villai in a family-friendly great city/beach area in Europe & having trouble narrowing it down?

Jan 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

ideas?
Jan 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Is it Great City OR Beach Area -- or Great City WITH Beach Area????

The only GC WITH Beach I can think of is Venice, with the Lido, and children are all too prone to falling into canals .
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM

I would highly recommend Ciboure or St Jean de Luz on the coast of France near to Spain. This area is rich in culture, meets your beach requirement, and is quite kid friendly - more so than the Riveria.

Day trips to Bayonne and Biarritz are an easy day trip and offer a foray into larger cities.
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM

How about barcelona? It is a fun city with a beach. I don't think anyone goes there specifically for the beach but it is very cool to have a beach in the city. What are your choices - you mention "narrowing it down" in the title?
Jan 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM

I am VERY confused as you have over 8 different threads with you and your family going to various beach vacations in Europe,Caribbean,etc.
Where are you going? I suggest that you consolidate your threads for easier viewing and help.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM

what happened to your 6 year old?
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:46 AM

DUBROVNIC!!
Jan 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM

If I could make a suggestion based on having traveled to Europe with my children when they were little and also based on having spent time in the summers with small children at the beach on Block Island, Rhode Island.

I think the reason you are having trouble narrowing down the many suggestions that people have made is that your concept is flawed. If I were you, I would go either to a city like London where there are so many wonderful play areas and public parks that are child - friendly or I would choose a child - friendly beach as my destination. If you focus on the beach, you must choose your destination on the basis of safety for your children because drowning is a silent event and tragedies can and do occur at the beach. Make sure the waves are gentle and the slope of the land is shallow going into the water. Our cousins went to Italy and spent several weeks with their child at Sestri Levante, which they loved.

So my recommendation for you is to ask yourself which you personally want to visit -- a city in Europe or a beach -- and choose one or the other. Your kids won't remember much if anything about the trip anyway. Then review the suggestions people have made in terms of child friendly qualities.

Just my thoughts...
Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM

I am not falling for this one again.