Riomaggoire

Jun 8th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Riomaggoire

About how many steps up to the town from the train station if we get back after the elevator closes at 7 PM? Is it a tough climb? My wife has a back problem and has a problem with lots of really steep steps.

Jun 8th, 2007, 01:12 PM

A lot! It's not tough if you're prepared for how tough it's going to be...and it's not a heckuva lotta fun in the heat. We (in our late 50s) climbed them several times in October 2006, both during the day and in the evening, with no problem; but we both work out and are pretty accustomed to stairs. Your wife -- from what you've described -- may have trouble, I hate to say it.

BUT: there is a little bus-shuttle service that you can use. I can't remember what time it stops running, but it's after 7pm.
Jun 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Wait a minute! Are you talking about Riomaggiore (no steps) or Corniglia (approx. 300 steps)? BIG difference! (MY post was referring to Corniglia, I'm sorry!)
Jun 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM

RIOMAGGIORE What steps??
Jun 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM

bellini, I confused Riomaggiore with Corniglia, assuming from the mention/description of steps, that's what the OP was referring to.
Jun 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Since there's an elevator in Riomaggoire to get from the train station to the main area, I assume there are lots of steps up. Maybe not-it may just be a very steep incline???

We're staying at Edi's if anyone knows about it.
Jun 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Honestly, donw, I don't remember the steps at Riomaggiore. Maybe because we went there after going to Corniglia!

In any case, if I were you, I'd contact Edi's and ask them about your issues.

I love Riomaggiore, btw. Peaceful, sweet.

Enjoy your trip!
Jun 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM

donw,
There is a fairly steep incline up to where Edi's apartment are located but then there are four or five flights of steps up to the apartments. Some require more flights then others.

Henry
Jun 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

OK, tks.

We have an apt on the 1st floor due to the fact that Edi and others have said the stairs up to the 4th floor are rough.