Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about traditional Bavarian dirndls and lederhosen for our Oktoberfest visit.

Questions about traditional Bavarian dirndls and lederhosen for our Oktoberfest visit.

Jun 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I know this sounds crazy but. For our visit to Munich and Oktoberfest I talked my husband (Brad) into the idea of us wearing traditional bavarian clothes. I.E Dirndls and Lederhosen for the one day we doing Oktoberfest. My question is. I have found some really cute dirndls with appon and under shirt for around $225.00 including tax and shipping however, for Brad's outfit he needs a vest,socks,hat,shirt, lederhosen,jacket and belt at a cost of minimum $800.00! He's not gonna pay over a $1,000.00 for just a few hours. Do you think we could get a lower price in Munich? Or do you know of any places that sell used outfits for him? I am getting the new 2007 dirndl no matter what!
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Yeah it sounds crazy!
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

I know but it sounds really fun too.
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM

They'll cost even more there.
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Don't forget to buy a cuckoo clock too!
Jun 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

My brother emailed me yesterday ( He's feeding the fish and cats while we're gone) and said if I don't bring him back a cuckoo clock, the cats and fish will be "sleeping with the fishes"
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:03 PM

There are second hand stores in Munich from which to buy these things.
One is very close to the train station on the Marionplatz or whatever it is called.
I had wanted an outfit too <GRIN>
My new husband is German and I thought the dirndl and bustier would be teh equivalent of a "fantasy" outfit here in America.
Yessssss... it was a joke!
Jun 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM

3 years ago in Mittenwald I saw a toddler-size mannequin in a store window in Bavarian garb. When I came closer, I noticed the price tags: About $400 to outfit a 4 year old!

If someone pays that much, are they still permitted to gripe about the price of gas?

Bear in mind, Jaane, that while YOU may think you look authentic, as soon as the locals find out you can't speak German, THEY won't deem you so. Picture a Korean guy (speaking no English) dressed in a cowboy outfit while walking about downtown Boise, Idaho. What would you think of him?
Jun 7th, 2007, 01:21 PM
ira

Hi IJ,

Just got back from Austria and Bavaria.

Lots of local folks wearing traditional outfits (Dirndls for the women, various garb for the men) for weekends and visits to the lakes.

Go for the Dirndl, especially if you are "brustige".

DH needn't wear lederhosen, high socks, etc. We saw many men in cloth shorts, collarless jackets and fancy shirts.

If DH doesn't have a large beer belly, he should get one.

Enjoy your day.

Jun 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM

None of the outfits worn at Oktoberfest are genuine. Simply because there never was a Munich traditional lederhosen or dirndl dress. This tradition was with the farmers on the countryside not in the city. But who cares . A chinese "bavarian" clock and dirndl may look nice too!
Jun 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM

One other option is to pick an Austrian designer who gives the traditional clothes an updated twist so that they become pieces you can wear anywhere rather than just a "costume."
I am a big fan of Mothwurf and try to pick up one thing from their line every year. Look at their previous winter collection and their current spring/summer collection online (from their spring/summer collection, I have the jacket shown in Seite 15).
www.mothwurf.at
My husband is half-German (half East Prussian, to be exact) and he had the complete outfit when he was a young kid living in Germany. By the way, $800 is a pretty low price for a full men's outfit...some of the hats alone cost WAY more than that!
Jun 8th, 2007, 01:48 AM

800 is cheap for a mans outfit. But if you're not looking for real authenticity you can get them much cheaper than that.

But for the really cut price option you could go for the lederhosen tee
http://www.wiesn.de/product_info.php...s_id/155?ref=3
Jun 8th, 2007, 03:11 AM
ira

Terrific, lawchick.
Jun 8th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I love the mothwurf collection.It may be too fancy for a night of beer drinking and eating brats?

Go for the Dirndl, especially if you are "brustige" ira wrote. If that means "big breasted"? I am but at 46 their not as perky as they use to be. heheheh. My husband Brad has just the start of a beer belly.

The lederhosen Tee-shirt is a great idea
Lawchick. I ordered two. One for Brad and one for my brother.

I will look for that shop SuzieCII.

logos999 wrote, "But who cares . A chinese "bavarian" clock and dirndl may look nice too!"
What are you trying to say? All cuckoo clocks in Germany are made in China? And too are the Dirndls?
The ones I looked at online all say made in Germany! I don't understand what you are saying?

I get your point tomboy. I don't want to wear my dirndl around town. I just thought it would be fun to wear it while at the Oktoberfest grounds.
"Picture a Korean guy (speaking no English) dressed in a cowboy outfit while walking about downtown Boise, Idaho. What would you think of him?"
We saw a whole group like that when we were in San Antonio Texas last year! funny as hell.

Jun 8th, 2007, 05:06 AM

I have some dirndls which I often wear "around town" in Austria. Though in Munich on an average Sunday I have seen many people dressed in the tracht.

I'm not Austrian, I'm Irish, but my husband is from a very conservative family, so I am "expected" to wear the traditional dress. I quite like it though. I also now have a Festags Dirndl, which is a very fancy silk one. This you can wear to weddings, the opera etc.
Jun 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM

By the way, I meant to say, not speaking german is not a big problem when wearing the dirndl - as women in Bavia aren't expected to say a hell of a lot anyway

Jun 8th, 2007, 05:46 AM

>The ones I looked at online all say made in Germany!
There are things made for tourists and only for tourists and that's fine! Everybody wants to make a living. "Made in ..." doesn't always mean "completely made in..." ;-). I may only be the sticker that's "Made in...". Germany is the largest exporter of goods on the planet. Do you think all that is acutally "Made in Germany"? . And yes, there is no Munich tracht, it's all genuinely fake 100% . Loden Frey wants to make a living too.
Jun 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM

>as women in Bavia aren't expected to say a hell of a lot anyway
Sounds pretty resonable
Jun 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Acually, it's kind of sweet of you to fall so easy for the stereotpyes of Germans (Bavarians) and Germany. If the negative prejudice wouldn't just stick in peoples heads in the same way. Quite a number of things are illusions, and they're specially made for you tourists to enjoy yourself. (And leave a little money too) . You may prefer and report the dream, that's okay. Many posts here are quite fascinating in respect to how people see the country they visit, that's one thing why I really like those posts. Now have fun with your genuine chinese lederhosen and dirndls. (Oops, no I recall that the german textile industry went bancrupt years ago.) Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO