restaurants in Vienna

Search

restaurants in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restaurants in Vienna

I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on other forums, so here goes. We will be in Vienna for 4 nights before our tour starts, staying near the Opera House. Would like suggestions for dinner, in the "medium' price range, tradtional Viennese food, though I don't eat either pork or beef (my husband does). Prefer small places off the main streets. Could really use some up to date suggestions. Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM

The Spatzennest on St. Ulrichsplatz 1, is fantastic for great local fare at good prices. It sits right off of Burgasse in the Spittlberg. Smutny near where you are staying is also very good.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:01 AM

Vienna is full of good restaurants, you'll have plenty of choices. One of my favorite inexpensive (to moderate) restaurants is Hotel Riviera, which is not in a hotel at all. Set in a tiny street behind St. Stephan's cathedral. Serves a mix of Austrian and Croatian cuisine. Cash only. Reservations advised for dinner. Menu online at www.lametta.com Very nice service, warm atmosphere, not touristy. I was last there about two months ago.
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:21 AM

I also like the Smutny, or if you are willing to go a few euros more, I like the ZU DEN DREI HACKEN in the Singerstrasse - which is a few minutes walk from the Stephansdom.

http://www.vinum-wien.at/Galerie/index.htm

As with most Austrian restaurants it will have a lot of pork and beef, but you should find some fish also.

The Gösser Bierklinik is pretty cheap and cheerful with a good atmosphere.

http://www.goesser-bierklinik.at/
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:25 AM

tagging
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:17 AM

I always eat at Spatzennest, also, when I am in Wien. It is a typical neighborhood Viennese restaurant with moderate prices and great food.

For a couple Euros more, my strong recommendation is Restaurant zum Stöger (http://www.stoegerrestaurant.at/) in the 5th district. Take the U4 to Pilgrimgasse/Ramperstorffergasse. It's 100 meters from there. This is true Viennese cuisine with an eclectic touch at really moderate prices for what you get. They have a regular menu plus one, which changes weekly (seasonal specials). It's one of my very favorite restaurants in the whole world. It is not touristy, but is instead a hit with Viennese in-the-know.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM

Is it smart at these neighborhood, local-oriented restaurants to make reservations? We'll be there for a week in mid-June. Thanks for any advice.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM

For the ones I recommended you do not need to reserve. The Gösser Bierklinik is also a very good recommendation and does not require reservations either.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM

Bookmarking, Thank you.