Places to eat in Vienna

Search

Places to eat in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to eat in Vienna

It will be my first time in Vienna. Any Information on all types of eating establishments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:37 AM

Search under Vienna and you'll find several trip reports with restaurant reviews (a search of vienna+restaurants only brings up a few threads, though). Everyone has their favorites, but mine are
Meinl am Graben: one of the top restaurants in Vienna and my personal favorite. Reservations required...ask for a table overlooking the Graben. About $65 per person (lunch).
Morwald's: In the Ambassador Hotel. Fairly formal, again reservations required. Expensive
Steirereck: This is supposed to be THE number one restaurant in Vienna, but I liked a few others better, including Meinl am Graben, Morwald's and even Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer. They are moving to a new location...anyone been there yet? Expensive
Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer: I really like this place for the food, service and location just off the Karntnerstrasse (on 3-5 Weihburgasse, hope the sp is correct). It has its detractors though. This is a slow meal, plan on about two hours. Very traditional decor, emphasis on Styrian cuisine and excellent selection of Austrian wines. Moderate to expensive. Reservations strongly recommended. Closed for part of the summer. Has a nifty web site where you look at photos of all the tables and reserve a specific table.
Oberlaa. My favorite cafe for pastries. A real addiction to their raspberry schnittes.
Cafe Sirk. On the Karntnerstrasse. Great for a soup and salad lunch. Great homemade chicken soup. Pastries were better at Oberlaa.
Demel's is the most famous cafe but it's often a madhouse, packed with tourists. If you can go at an off hour, you'll enjoy it more.
Skybar, on top of the Steffl department store on the Karntnerstrasse, is a cool, hip bar with extensive cocktail list, good tunes (very modern, a break from all that Mozart and Strauss), very lively pick up action, excellent view of St. Stefan's cathedral. Can get quite crowded week-end nights.
Oswald & Kalb is another popular place, I thought it was nice but not that great. Sober decor, white walls, dark wood.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 03:15 AM
ira

Hi

We very much liked The Basilisk.

See http://www.tourist-net.co.at/lokale/basilisk/
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 03:24 AM

Figlmuller's is fun--wiener schnitzel that literally hangs off the plate.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:34 AM

What type of eating establishments do you like? High end reataurants, local cafes, or heurigen (local wine taverns)?
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Operaman
Local cafes and wine taverns are our favorites, ones with locals.
Thanks
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 10:32 AM

Good for you! That is the best way to enjoy Wien. I have some good places on my site: http//alexstarke.tripod.com/
You'll find them on the links page. When do you go to Wien? If you have any more questions you can e-mail me through my site. I'll be happy to help.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:08 AM

Hello Mike: If you don't mind a 15 minute cab ride, Restaurant Vincent, GroBe Pfarrgasse 7, 1020 Wien Telefon: (01) 214 15 16, was by far our favorite (6 courses and 5 different Austrian wines to sample, with a great personal touch by the patron). We thought it trumped Restaurant Korso (Hotel Bristol) which was fabulous. Ahh, Wien!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Harrys Bar at An der Hulben near Stubentor was my favourite living there - amazing value 6 course lunch or go for eat the menu for under 30euro - try everything on the menu (30 odd courses). Has range of upmarket Austrian and international and very good wine selection. Is busier at lunch with near by court lawyers.
For the experience - Thursday night buffet dinner at the Kunsthistorische Museum -book ahead. Other than out of character modern lights, it is an amazing setting. 45euro including entry to museum - go see the paintings in between courses.
Best pizza in town in pleasant relaxed surroundings (and only 50c more expensive than mediocre trattorias in the centre) - Regina Margherita in the courtyard of Palais Esterhazy of Wallnerstrasse.
Vienna is one of those cities where I felt that presence of locals does not necessarily mean much. I have eaten some of the best meals there and total crap and the crap ones were just as likely to be busier, or even stranger people sitting next to bulldozers on gravelly streets that were being done up - and the restaurant was mediocre. Never understood that one.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 10:18 AM

This past March we loved Steirereck (old location), Korso (in the Bristol hotel), Do & Co (across the street from Stephansdom, contemporary setting, everything on the menu from sushi to traditional Austrian dishes.)
We wanted to get to a newish place called Stomach (fab reviews) but ran out of time. On our first night, we went to a casual place called Livingstone's. Good burgers for the kids, other choices for the adults, wine list is all Californias.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:43 PM
MaureenB

When in Vienna last month, we simply walked around, looked at posted menus on restaurant doors, and easily found great restaurants. There are so many to choose from, I don't think you'll have a problem. Some can be pricey- but hey, splurging on vacation is half the fun!

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:53 PM

We just did what MaureenB did...strolled around the streets and checked out the menus as we came across restaurants. There are plenty to choose from. I found several great restaurants and cafes that way!

You'll have a great time! Vienna is one of our favorite cities.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:42 AM

We really liked the Palmenhaus--the cafe restaurant in the old imperial greenhouse overlooking the Burggarten. It was informal--we ate outside--and the food was great. A limited menu, but what they have is "cherce," as Spencer Tracy used to say. Preferred it to Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer, which I think is overrated, although it does have nice decor.