Restaurant with a view - Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Florence for 6 nights during October 2014. One afternoon or evening we want to enjoy a celebratory meal in a restaurant with a view of the river or rooftops of the city. Because it is a celebratory meal I would say a budget of 75-100E per person. Any recommendations for a restaurant with a view for a celebration in Florence?
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 06:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
La Loggia , Villa San Michele in Fiesole up the hill from Florence.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
La Loggia , Villa San Michele in Fiesole up the hill from Florence.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

HT,

La Loggia is on the research list.

THANKS,
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 01:43 AM

Julie - the restaurant in the Hotel Lungarno is very nice. It's located on the Oltrarno, near the Ponte Vecchio. Outside seating, overlooking the lighted Ponte Vecchio, delicious (and expensive!) food ... Memorable!
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:14 AM

Oops, writing before coffee ... Meant to warn that the resto is expensive, not to recommend it because it is expensive.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Janet,

Yes, expensive does NOT guarantee good. I know we will pay for the view .... Thus I guessed at a (for us) top end budget allowance. Of course, if there are recommendations for other restaurants where the food tops the view, but qualify with ambience and memorable I would like to lesrn their name.

Thanks for the tip
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We haven't been here in more than a decade, and the current reviews are decidedly mixed, but I'm certain the views are still the same. Trattoria Omero is a little out of town, so you need to take a cab.

From my OLD. OLD trip report...

"On this evening, we would take a taxi to the hills above Florence to Trattoria Omero. Little did I know it might have been wise to purchase life insurance before our taxi ride.

Our cabbie made Steve McQueen look like a safe driver in Bullit as he sped through the streets and hills of Florence (think Gene Hackman in The French Connection), yapping on the phone and blowing through stop signs with abandon. He was the first guy I had ever seen who had more traffic violations than myself on a short drive. At one point, I kept thinking about San Miniato and worried we might suffer a similar fate.

As we neared the restaurant, I thought, “What can this guy do for an encore?” Fortunately he was up to the challenge as about five minutes from the restaurant he clipped a parked car.

Not surprisingly, he got us here early for our reservations (stop sign violations make for a quicker trip), so we walked around the area replete with expensive homes and high-walled gardens. The restaurant was charming with exposed brick walls, stone floors and beamed ceilings. I had requested the terrace that had beautiful views of olive groves.

It also had a familiar look to it. It turned out our St. Louis friends from Hotel Hermitage, Ron and Martha, were just about finishing up their dinner...They gave us some menu recommendations.

Dinner at the Omero was as not as good as the views, but still some of the dishes were really good. I had my last Prosciutto e melone to start, while Tracy tried some Baby artichokes drizzled with olive oil and slices of our new favorite cheese pecorino (foreshadowing alert).

Kim and Mary shared a salad of with greens with pecorino. Kim said he was in heaven. I added, “Our cab driver almost got us there first.”

Digression: I think it was more of a custom in 2001 to eat all the courses (or maybe we were just stupid and did that because we thought that was what we were supposed to do), so we ate lots and lots of food. Luckily I was skinnier in those days.

Next up was Tortellini stuffed with a meat and cream sauce for Tracy and me, while Kim and Mary opted for the ravioli topped with sage butter sauce (I think I still remember how good that was…yes, I stole one).

For the main course, three of us decided to go for the Specialty della Casa, which was fried chicken (Floentine style). Carlo, our very friendly waiter, recommended this dish (more on him later). Kim decided to go for the Veal Della Casa, a breaded, fried veal chop.

Unfortunately, the main course was the disappointment of the night. They were all pretty plain and devoid of much flavor.

The side dishes were better; fried veggies of baby zucchini and artichokes with some pommes frites, and a Tuscan special of white beans.

We’d come this far, so why not dessert? I had a very good Tuscan cheesecake topped with raspberries."

http://www.ristoranteomero.it/index.php/en/galleria

Old Mar 8th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

maitaitom, thank you for the recommendation for two reasons. First, it's another possibility for a meal with a view and second, I got to reread a MAITAITOM trip report. I think, publishing your reports might earn enough to pay for your next trip. Peter Mayle step aside.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 12:23 PM

As for view, you can't beat Piazzale Michelangelo at dusk and sunset. Have a glass of wine or two at the bar located just below the upper deck and watch the sun set over the city and the Arno--priceless. Then walk or taxi down to your restaurant--with or without a view. We've done it on numerous occasions and always felt better for it. Enjoy.