Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Paris Vendome or Marriott Champs-Elysees?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

We (family of 4 - kids are 15 and 11) will be in Paris for 3 nights in July. This will be our 1st trip to Europe.

In Paris, we will be using Marriott rewards points and we have the following 2 choices:

* Renaissance Paris Vendome:
standard reward points + €60 / night
(rated #14 on tripadvisor.com)

* Marriott Champs-Elysees:
standard reward points
(rated #142 on tripadvisor.com)

We will have 2 rooms at either hotel.

We want to select the hotel that is in the nicest neighborhood, with close proximity to cafes, interesting shops, the typical 1st time sights, and the Metro. We prefer to shop and eat at more local, casual places, rather than ritzy, high-end places.

I think we would prefer the Vendome, but want to make sure it is worth the €180 (the C-E is straight points). Since our trip is fairly expensive, we are trying to minimize expenses where possible. However, we won't be back to Europe for quite some time and want to select a memorable location as well.

What do you folks recommend?

Thank you!

Carole
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM

I would certainly choose the Vendome over the Marriott for the hotel itself, the location, and the neighborhood. They also have a very small indoor pool which might be a nice diversion for the younger child at least. Having stayed a few times in both, there is no question in my mind. I find many more interesting shops in the Vendome neighborhood, the Champs itself is not really anything what it used to be, it is Benetton, McDonalds and Disney shops with a few good shops lefts (although they are some shops on adjoining boulevards), but the Vendome area has some interesting boutiques and of course Place Vendome itself where you can at least window-shop... I think you will find better places to eat in the neighborhood of the Vendome as well, because the restaurants right on the Champs tend to cater very much for tourists and are quite average IMO and on the pricey side for what you get.

If you choose the Vendome, ask for the largest rooms available in the class you have selected, rooms can be on the small side. Up to you whether you want a courtyard or street side. There are no real views from the street except of the other buildings, not unpleasant, but no great buildings to see. Courtyard can be a little bit quieter, but the neighborhood is generally quiet, no busy streets.

Isn't 60 plus 60 equal 120 in total, not 180?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM

I don't know where the Renaissance is, but I have been inside the Marriott. The Marriott is very centrally located on the Champs-Elysees. I've tried three times to use my points there, but they always need 150% of the value, so I stay at the Courtyard.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cicerone and luvtotravel!

Cicerone - I did blow it on the math.... It's €60 per night, PER ROOM. Instead of €60 X 3, it's €60 X 3 X 2... or €360 total difference. That makes the decision even more difficult!

luvtotravel - the Vendome is located between the Tuileries and Place Vendome. We originally were going to have to use stay anytime (150% of the value) points at the C-E, but I watched the Marriott website like a hawk waiting for standard points to open up.

Also, since my husband is platinum Marriott rewards client, we can use the Champs-Elysees concierge lounge (which has free breakfast items in the morning and appetizers in the late afternoon). The Vendome does include a full breakfast but we could eat elsewhere for far less than €120 per day.

Decisions, decisions!

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:06 PM

I guess I would look at it this way: you are getting a beautiful room in a lovely hotel in a great part of Paris for ONLY 120 a Euros a day per room. Wow!! That is a huge bargain as far as I am concerned.

Yes you are using some points, but the same amount as at the Marriott, and what else are the points for????
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

luvtotravel - another question...

Which at which Paris Courtyard do you stay... the Airport or the Neuilly?

We also were originally considering the Neuilly, as we can stay in 1 room (suite) there for very few Marriott points (relatively speaking).... even fewer than standard points (pointsavers).
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

oops... I meant "At which Paris Courtyard do you stay...".

So much for editing before posting!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:35 AM

We stayed at Neuilly twice. I liked it. Not convenient, though. It's in a residential neighborhood about a ten minute walk to the metro. I remember there is a bus by the hotel, but it stops running after rush hour.

It's quiet. We request a courtyard view. Air-conditioned, which is important to me.

Given the choice, I would stay in a more central location. I was trying to save my points.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:22 AM

Take the freebie.

The distance between them is about a mile, so Étoile is a 4 minute RER ride from Auber (for example).

You can only be close to so much, and once you've exhausted the possibilities within easy walking distance of a hotel, you're going to get on a bus or train anyway. So spend the 360€ on something besides proximity to shops.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robespierre...

We really would prefer to save the money. Maybe I'll keep looking at the Marriott website and see if standard points without the upgrade fee comes up (that would take someone cancelling their reservation for the same dates).

Carole