Search

Best Marriott in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2013, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Marriott in Paris?

Hello fellow Fodorites,

I don't often post on the Europe board, as most of my travel is to Asia. But we have booked a trip to Paris for May, 2014. We have something like 1.5 million Marriott points and want to use them. So far, it looks to me like the two best are likely the Marriott Champs Elysees and the Renaissance Place Vendome. Feedback on these or recommendations of others?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM

I'll be interested in the answers (don't have one myself), but wanted to say lucky you having 1.5 million points 'in the bank'. (We have about 250,000 and consider that pretty good!)
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM

I've stayed at the Ren Vendome twice and it's a nice boutique property. The only thing to be aware of is that their standard rooms are fairly small. We were upgraded to a deluxe room last time which is still smaller than most North American hotel rooms. I don't like the location of the Marriott CE and the property has a busier feel.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 03:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Haven't stayed in either but MUCH prefer the location of the Renaissance Place Vendome.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. I know European hotel rooms are small and I'm accustomed to the huge suites in Asian hotels. We are Platinum with Marriott, which is supposed to assure us of an upgrade. Does anyone know if we will still get upgraded even though we are using points to purchase the room?
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Have you checked marriottrewardsinsiders.com? Lots of reviews there. It is free to join for MR members.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that, Joan. I'll have to sign up.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:36 PM

You're still eligible to receive an upgrade based on availability when using points. The time I didn't get upgraded I was Plat but checked in very early (6:30am). Perhaps if I'd been willing to wait I could've gotten an upgraded room later in the day.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 07:56 PM

sure you will be upgraded and will have club privileges as well providing they are not overbooked...
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 06:34 AM

No club at either property but breakfast is comped.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:08 AM

I haven't stayed at a Marriott hotel in Paris, as I usually rent an apartment or stay in small hotels. But of the two that you've listed, as far as location goes, I personally would select the Place Vendome one over the Champs one. I don't know all of the Marriott choices in Paris, but in general, when I'm picking a hotel in Paris it's more about location than the amenities of one hotel over the other.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:14 AM

One thing to consider about the Marriott Champs Elysees is that many of their rooms overlook the central atrium. So if you were looking for a Paris street view, either the CE or out the back, you may not get one.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM

Another property I've heard good things about but haven't stayed at is the Ren Trocadero. It's also a smaller property and is what I would choose if using points and the Vendome property isn't available.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM

I'd choose the Renaissance place Vendome, also. I'm sure both are nice hotels, I've heard that, but I just wouldn't want to be on such a big major business street at the Champs-Elysees. Now the place Vendome is hardly quiet or solely residential, but it's a little bit more out of the way and nearer more regular neighborhoods, I think.

The Renaissance Wagram isn't in that convenient an area for me, nor the Marriott Rive Gauche (which isn't the same caliber, I don't think, more a regular business hotel).

I think the Trocadero location would be better for someone who knew Paris better and knew what they were getting into over there. Because it's not really at the Trocadero, more around Victor Hugo stop. It would certainly be acceptable, though.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your input. I have to admit I'm still up in the air about which to choose. I've also read reviews on the insiders site.

One thing I find myself thinking about is that the lowest priced rooms at the CE are over 600 Euros, at the Vendome, under 400 Euros. Both are category 9 hotels (for Marriott rewards points). I'm a little concerned about being relegated to a low priced room at the Place Vendome after "spending" so many rewards points. Thoughts about this?
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:38 AM

Well, that's always a possibility unless you pay the upgrade fee to guarantee a larger room. The standard rooms at the CE are larger but I'd still rather stay at the Vendome.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Tell me about paying an upgrade fee - is that something you do upon arrival or that you arrange in advance?
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 01:42 PM

During the award booking process, you'll be offered the opportunity to upgrade. I think it starts at 30 euros per night for the next size room. For some reason, checking random dates next May, I don't see it being offered. Perhaps they haven't loaded the upgrade fees this far out yet.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

We have already booked the award and no upgrade was offered. We will continue to deliberate on this and will likely call Marriott and clarify our options.

I greatly appreciate all of the feedback - obviously, we are absolute novices at booking Marriott rewards packages. We will know so much more next time around!

Any further feedback is welcomed.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 02:44 PM

Kathie,
Enjoy Paris! I'm headed that way on Monday! My friend and I are staying at the apartment that guenmai likes. Should be a nice time. I've not been in Paris for at least 25 years.

I looked at Marriotts before opting for the apartment, but it was a very difficult choice to make! I hope you end up loving the one you choose.

I've not always been upgraded as a platinum. It isn't any automatic thing, in my experience. But when it happens, the rooms are usually quite nice (thinking of Ko Olina on Oahu... WOW is all I can say about the room I had there for two nights on points).

Missed an upgrade at Pattaya, but that was over the New Years Eve holiday, and the place was fully booked out. Had we arrived earlier than 4pm we might have scored something nicer.

Anyway, good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -