Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysees or Renaissance Paris Hotel Le Parc Trocadero?

Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysees or Renaissance Paris Hotel Le Parc Trocadero?

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pros or Cons for either? Our trip is this July (it seems both are air conditioned hotels).

Originally booked Renaissance Paris Hotel Le Parc Trocadero, but have since found an outstanding deal at the Marriott Champs-Elysees.

Feedback on either location and facility would be appreciated.

Merci!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Is this on cash or points? If cash, I would probably not stay at either. Give us some information on why you are asking about these two particular hotels and I think you'll get good advice.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Yes, stw - cash or points? The Marriott on Champs is right over and next to the Sephora. LOL I wanted to go in and check it out but they would not permit me to. (we have Marriott points and I was wondering for future trips). It is a very tourist area - I did not eat there on this trip but did when we went in June of 07 and was unimpressed with our food. (on Champs-elysees).
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Sorry -- Both points.

Booked the Renaissance at 150,000 plus 80 euros. Value of room 250 euros.

Marriott value of room is 650 euros.

Locations are rather close to each other. As far as I have read, both have been recently updated.

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

One more consideration is transportation.

The Marriott is close to both Metro and Train station. From CDG, would we be able to take a direct line to the Marriott location? I think for the Renaissance, we would have to switch lines to get to Victor Hugo.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Just for the heck of it, check out the Marriott Rive Gauche, 17 St. Jacques, left bank.
We stayed there in October, 4 nights for 95,000 points. It is not in a touristy area but the metro stop is about a 2 minute walk, and there are bus stops about 3 minutes walk. It was very nice, spacious, rooms decent size, very helpful and friendly staff. We opted to add the Executive Level amenities for $50, or E 50, sorry, can't remember which, and it was great! We arrived on Friday and so Saturday and Sunday we had the full brunch, anything you could dream of, though during the week we ate in the Executive Lounge and got a very nice breakfast and snacks all day, plus we ate "dinner" there twice after coming back to the hotel exhausted and it was pouring rain and we just ate and relaxed those nights.
At least check it out, you might like something a bit away but still so easy to get anywhere at all.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM

stw - did you decide? I wish I could be of help to you - I only know that the Marriott on Champs looked very nice. I would venture out of the area for dining options. But I could have just had bad luck - but it seemed higher priced and not as good as the food we had in the 5th.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM

I've stayed at the Champs-Elysees and Rive Gauche locations. The Marriott on the CE is fairly swank--atrium lobby, nice bar, not very large hotel, good service. All food and drink very expensive, which was expected and easy to avoid.

The room was very small but we weren't in it much. They do make a point of saying there are few or no rooms for more than 2 people and I understand why.

The location is fine--if you walk off the CE in either direction you can find reasonable and nice restaurants on the side streets. It's very near a Monoprix which are fun places to shop--sort of like Target but I think more attractive merchandise and a big food hall/grocery in the basement.

I think the hotelis either between the Champs-Elysees-Clemenceau and Franklin D. Roosevelt stops but maybe a bit nearer the Arc, between Franklin D. Roosevelt and George V stops. You can check exactly on www.ratp.fr website.

The Rive Gauche is across from one metro stop and very near, about two blocks all downhill, from the large Denfert-Rochereau stop which is on the line from CDG. I didn't come to the hotel that way but it looks very easy.

The Rive Gauche is a bit south of the river but not too far. It may be in the 14th arr or just on the edge of the 14th and 6th. Good bus and metro service.

The area itself has many restaurants and is quite close is a small Champion or similar grocery where I stocked up on bottled water and snacks (on the same side of te stree as the hotel, right as you go out of the hotel).

When I stayed at the Rive Gauche it had just been taken over by Marriott and things were somewhat confused. That was at least 3-4 years ago. It's larger and more business-oriented whereas the CE location is more upscale, which probably explains the difference in points needed--that and location as some people want to be on the CE.

Both hotels are very nice, really down to you on where you want to be located. If it were up to me, I would save the points and stay at the Rive Gauche.