Using Marriott points in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Paris early fall. Have choices on how to use my points for five nights (all are available): 95,000 for either the Renaissance La Defense or Courtyard Neuilly, or 195,000 for the Marriott (50% surcharge to override blackout dates). Of the three, I prefer the Marriott, but not sure it's worth the extra 100,000 points. Any thoughts on these three properties?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:11 AM

I guess a lot depends on whether you want to stay in the suburbs and have to use the Metro in the morning and late at night. Also it is sometimes nice to stop back at your hotel during the day to drop off packages or change clothes for dinner or whatever. <BR><BR>If that doesn't bother you then save your points. Personally I'd go for the city center location.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:56 PM
lynlor

We stayed at the Paris Marriott several years ago using points. It didn't require as many points as it does now.<BR><BR>I have very mixed feelings about our stay there. The room was wonderful with a view of the Champs (which some people on this board think is dorky). It was amazing what we could see from our room. When it rained you could see a beautiful kaleidoscope of umbrellas, the colorful buses going by, just many interesting things to watch from above. In addition to the tub , there was a walk in shower. That was great.<BR><BR>The hotel was very gracious about giving us almost daily gifts of fruit, rolls, special toilet articles etc.<BR><BR>The downside for me was a totally incompetent and useless staff. Now maybe it was the fact that it was a new operation and they did not have there act together yet.<BR><BR>If I did not have points to use, I would not even consider staying here.<BR><BR>We like to stay in different hotels in different parts of the city. I think we have stayed in all arr. through the 17th except 11, 12. <BR><BR>195,000 is a lot of points! In 1992 when the Marriott owned the Prince de Gaulle (Starwood owns it now) we stayed for one week at the Prince de Gaulle at no charge ( free ) using 100,000 points. Sheraton bought it from Marriott and really imroved it.<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 07:53 PM

We stayed at the Marriott last April and loved it--no problem at all with the staff (actually I've never had a problem with the staff at any Marriott I've stayed at) so they must have gotten that together. The room was great, location terrific, and I'm glad we stayed there. However, it didn't cost us anywhere near 195,000 points. I agree with the other posters that that's really high. <BR><BR>Would be curious to know if anyone has stayed at the others and what they were like. Someone?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 08:01 PM
MGB

That is really alot of points. In Nov. 2000, it was 200,000 points for 2 people to fly round trip free to any Marriott, we choose Sydney out and Auckland Back, 7 nights for a double at the Sydney Marriott, and a rental car for 7 days. Since there was not any rental cars that would accept the certificate, they redeposited 30,000 points so it only cost 170,000 points for the flights for 2 and 7 nights in a double. With all the wonderful hotels in Paris and quaint locations will the Marriott give you that much more of a Paris experience? Do you plan to be in your room a lot or out and about and day trips. When you think that you can stay in a 3* (without room service and gifts) for about $105 a night for about $550 is that how much your points are worth to you?
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 04:50 AM

In London, usually a significantly more expensive hotel city than Paris, we got a much better Marriott deal recently. Suspect this is because Marriott has 5 London hotels, hence lots of rooms to fill. Maybe if they had more rooms to fill in Paris, they'd offer better deals. Can you use your points for another chain (eg Sheraton) and save Marriott for another city?
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:00 AM

I was faced w/ the same decision actually. That seemed like a ton of points for the hotel. My advice is to take the La Defense. For the difference, you could spend an extra week there or go back again...not a good use of points for 195k in my opinion. I ended up booking Rome instead, but good luck. Oh, and keep checking. What started as a five day Rome Marriott reservation in June is now up to 10 days just from checking daily.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I've decided to stay at the Courtyard, which is closer into the city than the Renaissance and is in a nice neighborhood. Not too close to a Metro, but by a bus stop.<BR><BR>I, too, remember when Marriott points went farther. In the beginning, 195,000 got two worldwide airline tickets and two five-night hotel certificates (could be used on separate trips). The first change increased the points to 200,000 for two worldwide airline tickets and one seven-night hotel certificate. Not long ago, five nights at the Courtyard was 65,000, and then 75,000. Now it's up to 95,000.<BR><BR>I guess with so many people earning points in so many ways other than actually staying at Marriott hotels, this was bound to happen. I've been lucky enough to cash in and stay at some pretty wonderful Marriotts around the world. I'm really grateful to them -- just being &quot;thrifty&quot; these days with the points that are left.