Re- Berlin Hotel advice

Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Re- Berlin Hotel advice

I posted the same question but I put in the wrong hotel. How is the location and any other information you might have on Comfort Hotel an der Oper (GE187)
Bismarckstrasse 100 , Berlin, DE,
Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
hsv

I am not familiar with the hotel itself, but if it is near the Opera as its name suggests and as the rough map on the webpage indicates, the location is quite alright. Walking distance to the lively area around Savignyplatz with its bars and restaurants. Just a couple of bus stops from Zoo station (should not take more than 5 minutes by bus). Overall, if this hotel can be had at half the points than the Comfort Fruehling Am Zoo, I would feel tempted to opt for this one (meaning the Comfort An der Oper).
Jul 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HSV,
Once again your help is much appreciated!
Mike
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM
DAX

Mike,it looks like you've found the right Comfort Inn. Hsv is very knowledgable about West Berlin, and I know Savignyplatz is one of his favorite places to eat. I've been to Savignyplatz a few times but never ventured north of it, so I hope you come back to this posting after the trip to describe the area around the Oper. The area around Savignyplatz does seem to have a bit more character/charm. Have a great trip.
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again.
I guess both Comfort inns are in the West. I will definatley go to Savignyplatz. Is it traditional german food?
Mike
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:47 AM
hsv

Savignyplatz is a square, not a restaurant.
A couple of restaurants line it - mostly ethnic cuisines.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:26 AM
DAX

I forget the name of the Spanish restaurant on the north side of Savignyplatz that you recommended hsv. Another popular recommendation on this board is the Zwolf Aposteln pizza place where they serve pizzas named after the apostles at low prices. Somehow I always ended up in the not so great Italian restaurant on the west side of the square and never learned my lesson. The Italian menu reads better than the taste of the food they serve.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:27 AM
DAX

Mike: As I'm planning my next visit to Berlin as well, I found this handy interactive map of Berlin:

http://www.berliner-stadtplan24.com/...=550&map_y=200
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:32 AM
DAX

Mike, make sure you copy and paste the whole thing to get to the map of your hotel.
Aug 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I have booked the comfort An De Oper. HSV, I read another post by you about the Jolly Hotel Vivaldi being close to alot of places. Is the Oper similar?
Thanks,
Mike
Aug 29th, 2006, 12:17 PM
hsv

The Comfort An der Oper is in a completely different part of the city from the Jolly Vivaldi.

Whereas the Jolly Vivaldi is located smack dab in the center of Mitte adjacent to Friedrichstr. station, the Comfort An der Oper is in Charlottenburg, a centrally located neighbourhood of West Berlin. It is a bit of a walk from Kurfuerstendamm, but it's a managable distance. On Kurfuerstendamm, there is some good shopping, and, of course, Gedaechtniskirche. In the other direction, there is Charlottenburg Palace and its small but nice park - I think this would be walking distance, too.

More or less, more sights tourists would be interested in these days seem to be cluttered around the area between Potsdamer and Alexander Platz and therefore the Mitte location might be more central (especially since the Comfort An der Oper is not that centrally located in Charlottenburg, either). However, Charlottenburg (although parts of it are a bit sleazy), is still a very sought after neighbourhood and quite a number of Berliners have moved back here after originally having flocked eastward after the reunification of the city. I therefore do not think it is a bad location - as long as you are aware that the Jolly's location would probably be more appealing to most tourists.
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

HSV,
Thanks, We love to walk and need be take a train or bus is fine. I think we will be happy with our hotel choice.