Berlin - where to stay?

Search

Berlin - where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin - where to stay?

Hi, I am travelling to Berlin for 4 days at the end of July and was looking for advice on where to stay. It is such a big place. What I am looking for is an area that has good nighlife, in or around the centre and access to most the sites.

Hotels I have been looking at are:

Art'otel city centre west, Holiday Inn City Centre East, Park Plaza Prenzlauer Berg, Mercure Potsdam and the Comfort Hotel an der Oper .

Can someone please help or ster me in he right direction.

Thanks
Graeme
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM

If you are still looking for a nice accommodation, I can recommend Holiday Velvet. I have had very good experiences with them, and they responded very quickly to my wishes.

http://www.holiday-velvet.com.

This company is active all over the world, including the area you are going to.

Berlin:
http://www.holiday-velvet.com/berlin

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM

The Potsdam hotel is a fair distance outside Berlin, but might be good if you want to visit Potsdam. I wouldn't choose it, however.

I had a thread about the Holiday Inn City Center East - you might like to see the comments I got on it. I think this is a fair choice, but I ended up getting something else.

Park Plaza PB is just too far out, in my opinion, and it's not really in PB.

Art'otel CCW is good if you want a western Berlin base.

Comfort Hotel an der Oper has a transit stop right outside the hotel, which sounds promising. But looking at the list of attractions, it doesn't seem to be particularly near any. If I were going for western Berlin, I think I'd take Art'otel CCW.

Use the Berlin Journey Planner to get an idea of how far a particular hotel is from the sights:

http://www.fahrinfo-berlin.de/Fahrinfo/bin/

After much dithering, I'm going back in August to the same hotel we had last year:
Mercure Hotel Berlin An Der Charité

Through Hotels.de I got a rate of 66.50 Euros per night for a double room, and this includes breakfast, welcome drink, and a transit ticket. I recommend checking the Accorhotels.com site, but this deal wasn't available there.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Potsdam though a swell town is quite a commute from things of interest in Berlin proper. But if you prefer a less hectic smaller but spiffy town stay there. I don't think other locations matter too much.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, scotwid,

i echo the recommendation for www.hotels.de - some good deals, and you can see where your hotel is. we ended up at a very nice hotel on the Fischerinsel - 10-15 minutes walk to the end of unter den linden but it was a nice walk, and an interesting area.

regards, ann

regards, ann
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danke viel mal!
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Define "good nightlife" and don't be shy about what you really want.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:24 PM

We enjoyed the Arcotel Velvet on Oranienburgerstrasse. Nice location and close to a lot of restaurants and night spots. The hotel is unique as well.
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM

We stayed at the new Hyatt Regency. Quite beautiful.

GTG
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, scotwid,

I just googled the hyatt per gplug's recommendation.

at the end of July, they were quoting 156E for a standard room - not a bad rate, IMO for its type and position. however, on hotels.de most of the 4 star hotels are less than this per night for the same time of year.

good luck with your search.

regards, ann
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:37 PM

are you talking about the Grand Hyatt? Can't find a Hyatt Regency. We're booked there in August, and it looks fantastic. Broke my rule about staying at a chain hotel on this trip.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM
DAX

I've stayed at the Hyatt in Berlin 3 times and have to say that it's nice but not super. The two best things about staying there is the rooftop swimming pool and the club lounge, otherwise I find the rooms somewhat too black & silver with modern monotony. The only rooms I like are the ones facing south because they have more natural light and cheer. Ever since then I've preferred the rooms at the Hotel Mandala or even Marriott in the same Potsdamerplatz.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:48 PM

I can recommend the Hotel Astoria near the Zoo Bahnhof station. There are several references to it here on Fodor's. The location is great, price reasonable and staff wonderful. We've sent two sets of friends there and they loved we very happy with it too.
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Willtravel: That's quite a deal. Thanks to you, I'm thinking of booking it as well. Do you usually get a Welcome Card too?
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Schuler, so far I don't hit enough attractions in one day for the Welcome Card to pay off for me.
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I stayed at and can recommend Hotel Am Savignyplatz. It is in a good location with great transport options and has good nightlife (i.e. bars) in the Savignyplatz area. But it is a budget place, and you may be wanting something more upscale.