Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget Berlin Hotel/Pension convenient to transportation.

Aug 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Another Fodorite overwhelmed by choices. Needs are basic, don't require all the amenities of larger hotels, just a private bath, quiet location a plus, with good access to transportation. Going to Denmark and Russia ($$$) after Berlin so looking for budget hotel here. Would like to stay as close to $100 as possible but will pay $150. If doable, would like the Mitte/Potsdamer Platz area

If anyone has any recommendations I'll be your fan for life!!

Thanks.
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Jan57

I know you were looking to be close to Potsdamer Platz but I will post this anyway.

July of 2004 we were in Berlin and stayed at a place called Pension Peters, www.pension-peters-berlin.de
It is maybe a ten minute walk from the main train station, Bahnhof Zoo, or you can take the S-Bahn to the Savignyplatz stop and it is just a few minutes walk from there. We had a huge "family room" with bath for our family of 4 and it was very nice. It also included breakfast. Sorry I can't remember what we paid but I know it was quite reasonable. It was a safe neighborhood and the family that runs it were very nice. There are numerous restaurants close by.

Aug 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM

That should be very easy to do, unless your dates coincide with a major trade fair. We're getting a centrally located 3* hotel for significantly less than that in 3 weeks. Try these sites:
http://www.bookings.org
http://www.hotels.de
http://www.hrs.de
http://www.accorhotels.com

Berlin has some of the best accommodation deals in western Europe, IMO.
Aug 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Cheap, comfortable (if a bit basic) and with a fabulous weekend breakfast included with the price. Pretty good bkfst on non-weekends, too: Pension Schall und Rauch, 11 Gleimstrasse, Prenzlauerberg. Only 3 minutes by foot from the Schoenhauser Allee S-Bahn stop.

P-Berg is an 'alternative' neighborhood, on the east side of the city, so not exactly in the center of things. Schall and Rauch -- which translates as "Noise and Smoke", though S&R is neither noisy nor smoky -- advertises as a Gay and Lesbian Pension. However, during my extended stay, the other residents seemed to be all over the spectrum in every regard.

A bonus: a multi-screen movie theater is a block or so away, so if you come to the end of the day dog-tired and just want to relax with a movie -- it's right there!

Another Berlin pension/hotel I can recommend is Pension Adam in Charlottenburg. It too is close to public transport (which almost every area in Berlin seems to be), and within a few blocks of the Ku-damm and Savigny Platz areas, which abounds in restaurants and shops. Again, inexpensive, clean, comfortable.

You'll have no trouble finding satisfactory places to stay in Berlin, for far less than $US 100 per night.

Fritzl
Aug 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM

And, despite the risk of appearring to be an insufferable egotist, I'll attach a link to my Berlin trip report from last year. If it provides you some addn'l insights into what to expect, then it's to the good.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34628125

Fritzl
Aug 11th, 2006, 10:10 AM

I doubt if you want to be out of the center but you can really save bucks at the ETAP hotel - about 35 euros per room and right by a suburban rail station in East Berlin, about a 20 min commute to the centre. www.accorhotels.com - Marzahn (sp?)
Aug 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM

How about the incredibly interesting Propeller Island Lodge? It's an art hotel, with each room constituting a work of art, in its own way. It was quite convenient to public transportation - about a 2 block walk to the metro. Our room was about 110 euros in 2004.

Even if you don't stay there, check out its website: http://www.propeller-island.com/room...l/01/index.php
Aug 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM

$100-$150 is budget?

We thought we were splurging because we're spending $125 a night at the Arcotel Velvet. Seems like a pretty nice hotel in a pretty good location to be considered budget.

It's all what you're used to, isn't it?
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Rufus - Compared to hotels in Scandanavia
and Russia $100 is budget. Believe me we don't do 3 & 4 star hotels and I'm checking into apartments in Russia because they're less expensive! After more searching I realize hotels are much cheaper in Berlin!
Aug 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM

We stayed in Berlin in May this year in a one room appartment, very convenient situated near Alexanderplatz. It is a very nice app., well equipped, in a new building, at 9th floor. It is near bus station (bus 200 and 100; bus 200 takes you most of the sights in the city).
We booked it via www.123zimmers.de It is "City apartment near AlexanderPlatz O.001103" , it costs 49 Euro / night.
Aug 12th, 2006, 03:27 AM
hsv

USD 100 to 150 are going to buy you a lot of value in Berlin.

A friend of mine recently stayed at Hotel Casa in West Berlin on Schlueterstr. and really raved about it. I know its location, which I think is really nice if you want to stay in the center of West Berlin.
Schlueterstr. is a refined sidestreet of Ku'damm and the hotel is only a short walk from metro station Uhlandstr. and S-stop Savignyplatz.
Savignyplatz is also a nice area to sample a meal and a few drinks at night - but there are also a number of noteweorthy eateries and restaurants on Schlueterstr and its immediate surroundings. Should you require any tips, give me a hint.
You might want to look into it at

http://www.hotel-casa.de/index.php?o...d=1&lang=en_EN

If you are going to be in town over a weekend, you also might consider staying at one of the bigger chain hotels that usually offer quite favourable rates over the weekends (and accommodation will come at only a fraction of the cost you are likely to spend for lesser quality in Russia).
A great place which I keep recommending is the fairly new Radisson SAS Hotel opposite Museum Island and just a short stroll from Hackesche Hoefe and Alexanderplatz, as well as Unter den Linden in the Eastern center called Mitte. If you book at least 5 days in advance, you can get rates as low as EUR 99.00 over a weekend, which is a deal that is hard to be beat for such a quality place. I am aware that this is not exactly a budget hotel - but if you can get more for your money why shy away from it?

http://www.berlin.radissonsas.com/
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Definitely looking for under $100 now!
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM

We stayed at the Marriott at Potsdammerplatz for $50 US/night through Priceline in October 2004. Check it out at www.biddingfortravel.com. I'm not sure if it's still on the PL list of possibilities, but we loved the almost-new hotel and it's location.
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Just checked at BFT for PL hotels in Berlin. If you bid at the 3* level, you'd have a very high likelihood of getting one of the following hotels:

Top Concept Hotel
Marriott
Top Alsterhof Hotel
Holiday Inn Garden Court Kurfurstendamm

On BFT there's a link to reviews of each hotel, so if any of these four would be acceptable to you, study the bidding process and go for it.
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM

We stayed at Pension Peters twice, though it was a while ago ('97 and '01). Good to see they're still in business, and still nice. I agree that the family who ran it was very nice, and the rooms clean and bright. As Jan57 said, not Mitte or Potsdamer Platz, but everything feels very close via S-Bahn. Close to the Ku'damm for meals and shopping...
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Check out Hotel Ravenna. It's near U-bahn and S-bahn "Steglitz" but no a/c.

http://www.ravenna-hotel.de/english/index.html
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Berlin is a great priceline city - I stayed at the 4* Moevenpick two years ago for $65. Great hotel!