Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions on Granada and Alhambra visit - Nov 19

Nov 7th, 2019, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Arriving Sat 5 pm. So w have 4 nights / 3 full days in Granada.
Already booked tix for Alhambra - 9 am Tuesday.
So I'll be free all Sunday and Monday and Tues afternoon.

Question 1. Is that too much time for Granada - if so, what would be a good sidetrip 1 hr or so away by train or bus? I've been to Seville and Cordoba previously.

Question 2 on the entrance process at Alhambra... how closely do the guards check Passport against the printed ticket? Reason is... I mistyped so 1 of my Passport ID is missing a number in the Visitor section. But the Holder section is correct. Wondering if this may invalidate the tix.
Nov 7th, 2019, 11:52 PM
kja

Q1: It depends! I was satisfied with 3 nights in Granada, but whether 4 nights would be too little or too much depends on what, exactly, you want to see and experience and at what pace. FWIW, I spent a full day at the Alhambra (9 until 6, and then again later, for the full time allowed for an evening visit). For good information on side trips, I would strongly recommend that you check the Michelin Green Guide.

Q2: Sorry, I don't know. Good luck!
Nov 8th, 2019, 06:38 AM

Agree with kja on timing.

Strongly recommend also visiting the Alhambra in the evening, it is a much better experience - quieter, fewer people, magical as the light dies. But go in the day as well to see the gardens.
Nov 8th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kja and Thursdaysd. Unfortunately the night visit is only for Fri & Sat. I don't think I can make it since I get there Sat evening.

Let me re-phrase Question 1... If I get bored in Granada given I have some time Sat night and full days on Sunday and Monday, where else should I go for a 1-day sidetrip within an hr or so from Granada?

TIA
Nov 8th, 2019, 09:49 AM

I was only there one day mainly for the Alhambra, although I did see some other things around town. I think 4 days would be too much for me, 3 might work okay. Of course the Alhambra is the main thing of interest, but there is the cathedral, some old market area sections, and then they have that area known for "cave" houses and the birth of flamenco (there is a small museum there also) just outside town. I don't know how you'd get there, but there is probably a way or some group tours maybe you can find at the tourist office or something. That area is called Sacromonte
Cuevas del Sacromonte Museum | Turismo de Granada

There isn't really any place of particular interest you can go by bus/train in only an hour from there, as far as I know. There might be within 2-3 hours (like Nerja or Almeria), but not just one hour.

I don't know/remember about the ticket check thing. I went on a group tour so probably we weren't checked the same as a single person would be. That's the kind of thing you don't remember unless there was a problem.

you should get the Granada card, it lists tons of things to do that it covers, some small museums are there. I guess it has a fine arts museum. That card includes some guided visit at Sacromonte, I think, check. This website says you can get there by bus
https://www.lovegranada.com/places/sacromonte/
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:02 PM

These suggestions are based on research rather than actual experience (yet!) but perhaps somewhere in the Alpujarras (accessible by bus); Malaga; Ronda; Jaen (and maybe Ubeda); Antequera. Most of these are a little more than an hour. You could investigate them. You also don't need to sightsee all the time - taking time out for leisurely meals, a little shopping, sipping tea in a traditional teahouse and things like that could easily fill your three days. Check LonelyPlanet's page on things to do/see/eat in Granada. When we're there, I hope to visit one of the monasteries north of the Albaicin.
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:13 PM

We took one or two walking tours in Granada that were very good and interesting. I really came to enjoy exploring the areas of Granada that were not just Alhambra based. I think some people do a day trip from Granada to Cordoba.
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:32 PM

Just to add to my previous post... Our upcoming visit to Granada in December will be my third visit to Granada, spread over a couple of decades and each for 3 or 4 nights. If I could have carved out more time for Granada this trip I would have, but I would say the same of everywhere that we plan to visit and compromises need to be made.

I love doing walking tours in cities I visit - such a great way to find our more about a place at a pace which makes it enjoyable.

I would be prepared with information for day trips in case you decide to do one - but would not be at all surprised if you decide against it once there.
Nov 8th, 2019, 02:23 PM

You could take the ALSA bus from Granada to Malaga for a day trip. It is 1.5 hours each way. We loved Malaga, and spent 2 nights there. But if you get bored in Granada, I think Malaga would make a nice day trip. There is lots to see and do there: The Alcazaba (more beautiful than the Alcazaba at the Alhambra), Roman Theater, Castillo, seaside promenade, Ataranzas market, and many art museums. We visited the Picasso Museum.
Nov 8th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Passport check:

I was at the Alhambra in March with a group. They don't check everybody's PP on entry, but randomly choose people at various points to produce their PP. I know at least one person in our group was chosen, but have no idea how picky they are.
Nov 8th, 2019, 08:11 PM
kja

Originally Posted by kja View Post
Q1: ... For good information on side trips, I would strongly recommend that you check the Michelin Green Guide.
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Let me re-phrase Question 1... If I get bored in Granada given I have some time Sat night and full days on Sunday and Monday, where else should I go for a 1-day sidetrip within an hr or so from Granada?
TIA
So, asked and answered -- the Michelin Green will, IME, be the best source you can consult on your options for day trips from Granada. Most of the places mentioned on this thread are more than an hour from Granada, some FAR more (as in 3 hours or more each way). Malaga might be your best bet, but of course, that depends on your interests. You can always check your transportation times and options on rome2rio.com, as long as you actually drill down to the source websites, and the main rome2rio site is not sensitive to seasonal variation in schedules.
Nov 10th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

want to say THANKS to everyone for your insightful responses. you guys are the best!